If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

David Berry

🇦🇺 Australia 🦘
Overlooking the Coral Sea …

Coastal Banksia : Banksia integrifolia
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Coastal Banksia : Banksia integrifolia
Fraser Island, Queensland, AU
camera–to–subject : 1.8 metres

As I walked a coastal path on Fraser Island (world's largest sand island, a few hundred kilometres north of Brisbane), I spied this banksia flower glowing in the afternoon sun.

The photo was taken facing roughly south-east with the Coral Sea visible as a dark blue smudge in the bottom right. The distant low clouds are over the south-flowing, therefore warm, East Australian Current. The tall cumulonimbus cloud, closer but higher in the photo, rumbled off somewhere after sunset.

My botanical knowledge is lamentable but I think I am correct in describing the coastal banksia's flower spike as an inflorescence of several hundred threadlike flowers. Whatever the correct description might be, the honeyeaters that frequent the coastal heathlands depend upon the flowers.

The flower spikes are about the size of a 100 mm macro lens which, of course, I had neglected to bring with me!

Last edited:
Back