If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

lwan

Apparently for the english language, this raven is common. Where I live, it's called the "great raven", due to its size probably. 40 years ago it was near absent from my area, the costal paths created all around brittany's coastline in the 70/80s generated too much disturbance. Progressively, the great raven went away. But for the last 10 years it's been making a huge comeback, nesting in quarries deeper in the country. This afternoon, after letting my popup hide rot in the rain and wind for a couple of weeks (the bird here is extremely shy, I wanted it to get accustomed to the blind before going inside), 32 of them were in my largest field, and obviously they were gathering near the manure pile. After I spooked a few by moving my lens as slow as I could despite being fully hidden in the hide, with only the lens hole opened, one finally got "brave" enough to offer me a photo opportunity.
Doing some research on the bird around the world, I once again was amazed at how common and "meh" some birds are in other countries. For me, its extreme shyness (more than any other bird I photographed) and relatively rare occurrence in a place I can anticipate to "snipe" (quarries are impossible to enter) make taking this photo of a once endangered species a really special moment. I hope the photo do justice to my feelings!
I wish I could have called this a murder, maybe next time :)
DSC_4875_DxO_M.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Apparently for the english language, this raven is common. Where I live, it's called the "great raven", due to its size probably. 40 years ago it was near absent from my area, the costal paths created all around brittany's coastline in the 70/80s generated too much disturbance. Progressively, the great raven went away. But for the last 10 years it's been making a huge comeback, nesting in quarries deeper in the country. This afternoon, after letting my popup hide rot in the rain and wind for a couple of weeks (the bird here is extremely shy, I wanted it to get accustomed to the blind before going inside), 32 of them were in my largest field, and obviously they were gathering near the manure pile. After I spooked a few by moving my lens as slow as I could despite being fully hidden in the hide, with only the lens hole opened, one finally got "brave" enough to offer me a photo opportunity.
Doing some research on the bird around the world, I once again was amazed at how common and "meh" some birds are in other countries. For me, its extreme shyness (more than any other bird I photographed) and relatively rare occurrence in a place I can anticipate to "snipe" (quarries are impossible to enter) make this photo of a once endangered species a really special moment. I hope the photo do justice to my feelings!
View attachment 53001
Raven is one of the smartest bird species, I have seen their interactions up close, quite facisnating bird.

Raven is one of the smartest bird species, I have seen their interactions up close, quite facisnating bird.
I've heard they can count and they don't forget if they see you enter some place, unlike other bird that after a while just reset their perception of danger, the raven KNOWS you're still inside. It took almost 2 hours for them to slowly return near the manure, and only once I got the chance to take a picture :) Incredible (and magnificent) bird.

Doing some research on the bird around the world, I once again was amazed at how common and "meh" some birds are in other countries. For me, its extreme shyness (more than any other bird I photographed) and relatively rare occurrence in a place I can anticipate to "snipe" (quarries are impossible to enter) make taking this photo of a once endangered species a really special moment. I hope the photo do justice to my feelings!
View attachment 53001
A simple search on the Internet shows that the "Grand Corbeau" (common raven) is a bird of intelligence comparable to that of great apes and children.
Unfortunately, his black dress and his usual cry do not make him popular.
And, yes... nice picture ;)

I've heard they can count and they don't forget if they see you enter some place, unlike other bird that after a while just reset their perception of danger, the raven KNOWS you're still inside. It took almost 2 hours for them to slowly return near the manure, and only once I got the chance to take a picture :) Incredible (and magnificent) bird.
Many years ago, I couldn't tell ravens from crows, one day I was standing on the hills just north of Golden Gate Bridge when a pair of ravens landed a few feet away; I thought wow, this looks huge; then I noticed more unusal features of the bird. After some quick search I realized those were ravens.

As I get into bird watching, the ravens & crows continue to pique my interest. Have you seen their courtship ? Truely beautiful.

Oliver

Very nice shot; great detail in all that 'black.' I've had some remarkable experiences with Ravens; their intelligence produces some great personalities. And so very beautiful, too.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments, means a lot!
I must admit I didn't pay much attention to "nail the exposure" and let my Z6 do its thing, then pushed a few sliders locally on the bird in ACR :)