Compact every day camera recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I consider a 1-inch sensor the smallest I want for the minimum image quality. One thing that helps with some cameras is a modest number of pixels so each one can be larger and able to collect more light so lower ISO settings can be used and there is less noise in the image files. The Panasonic DC-ZS200D has 20MP and the Panasonic GX-85 MFT sensor has only 16MP for even larger photosites.

I want RAW capture so I can adjust the WB of the images easily. Auto WB is never that good even with expensive cameras.

Sensor Areas.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I think the Olympus TG-6 or whatever number they are up to may be an option.

These aretough cameras designed to withstand some submersion and also well protected from dust and dirt. I have one of those I use mainly when kayaking. Not the highest megapixel size but they work for point and shoot in a tough environment.
I have the TG5 and I will definitely use it. But just like the iPhone (same size sensor) photos of close ups are good but the further the subject becomes the poorer the resolution becomes. So for kids photos (torso and upwards) it does just fine.. but full body photos take a dramatic hit in detail.. great camera for underwater shots though 👍

I had a chance to play with a Z30 in a store for a bit and was surprised at how compact it was with the 16-50. This is not a shirt or pants pocket camera, but it should easily fit into a jacket pocket. In exchange for the additional size, you get a good EVF rear screen, good AF, a large sensor, and lens/battery compatibility. I seriously considered it, but I also acknowledged that it was not as small as the ones mentioned above. Still, the trade-offs were worth consideration.

--Ken
I admit I thought about it.. but considering I have the Z0, I decided it would be redundant.

I finally decided to stick to the TG5 and Z50 combo.
- Sony RX100 / ZV1 fit the bill but don’t match Nikon skin tones (jpeg)
(They have improved since the RX100iii but are not there yet)
- Canon G7x or G5x offer good skin tones (weak AF) but are not available
- Same with Lumix LX100 and other models (not available)
- Panasonic MFT are quite nice (12-30) but also not available as new models
- Z30 was in pole position but I consider it redundant to my Z50

so I will risk using my Z50 in the sand and by the beach (hopefully the limited weather sealing will prevent sand dust from coming onto the sensor).. if anything happens, I can hopefully upgrade it to the anticipated update from Nikon (Z50 ii or Z90).

I wanna thank everyone who participated and helped with the decision making 🙏

The only options I can find that fits your needs list are the two Sony options. Its unfortunate as I think there may be more of a market for this type of camera now than the past few years. Maybe still not enough of one to justify making them, but it does appear there is more interest in dedicated point and shoot cameras.
I do believe there is a market for compacts, in the 1 inch / MFT niche of sensors Size cameras.. I wished Fujifilm was more available and offered a zoom lens (with smaller models like the X-T100)

I admit I thought about it.. but considering I have the Z0, I decided it would be redundant.
I do not disagree, to a degree. I find the lack of an EVF hump makes the Z30 much easier to fit into pockets and small spaces in bags. For that, you do lose the EVF and the camera is not substantially cheaper then the Z50. Not a great tradeoff if only compared to the Z50, but if you do not need the smallest compact camera and are a Z shooter, then it has a few other benefits.

--Ken

Get bigger pockets. My small portable is the Nikon Zfc with the 26/2.8 pancake. That enables me to swap out to other lenses (when not in my pocket🤓) and I’ve got it set up, as near as possible, to mirror my Zf.

Get bigger pockets. My small portable is the Nikon Zfc with the 26/2.8 pancake. That enables me to swap out to other lenses (when not in my pocket🤓) and I’ve got it set up, as near as possible, to mirror my Zf.
I do miss the days where cargo pants were in fashion. Boy was it easy to carry things without any hassle.
My answer to portability is using a very small camera bag, so small that it only fits 1 small body, a small water bottle and my essentials (phone, wallet, keys). I use my old Vanguard that can be used as backpack or sling.

I do miss the days where cargo pants were in fashion. Boy was it easy to carry things without any hassle.
My answer to portability is using a very small camera bag, so small that it only fits 1 small body, a small water bottle and my essentials (phone, wallet, keys). I use my old Vanguard that can be used as backpack or sling.
They are beginning to trend again so you may be in luck

Back