Compatibility of Sigma 150-600mm lens with Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, if not to Steve's incredible eBooks. So, having finally managed to lay my hands on the hard-to-come-by Nikon Z9, I read that attaching an incompatible lens to the Z9 could mess with its electronics. My Sigma lens is very happy in its partnership with my trusty Z6 but just to be sure that the much more sophisticated brain of the Z9 doesn't get damaged, could anyone please advise me whether its compatible with the Sigma lens? This is my only non-native lens but I'm in Africa so wild life is high on my list and I can't wait to use the 600mm if its okay. I'd appreciate any feedback please.
Cheers
Laura

I read that attaching an incompatible lens to the Z9 could mess with its electronics. My Sigma lens is very happy in its partnership with my trusty Z6 but just to be sure that the much more sophisticated brain of the Z9 doesn't get damaged, could anyone please advise me whether its compatible with the Sigma lens?
interesting. that's not something i've heard.

certainly some (older) 3rd party lenses aren't compatible, but i'd think if it worked with the z6 it should work with the z9.

also, i recall that Tamron lists compatibility on their web site. maybe Sigma does the same?

Welcome! And, if I might take the liberty, a particular welcome to a female photographer!!! The forum needs more female voices.
Thanks for the welcome. I don't see why it would not be compatible either but as I can't afford to replace the new camera should I mess up, I am erring on the side of caution. I've asked my camera store to check with the importers/agents of Nikon on my side but no one seems to be jumping up and saying yes (or no)..

certainly some (older) 3rd party lenses aren't compatible, but i'd think if it worked with the z6 it should work with the z9.

also, i recall that Tamron lists compatibility on their web site. maybe Sigma does the same?
Thank you John,
I am going to try Sigma's website and agents if necessary but I just felt like it should come from Nikon, after all its their camera. I think it should work as with the Z6 but I would rather be sure first. My camera shop has been asked to check with the agents/importers of Nikon but no one has jumped up to say yay or nay at this point.

i don't think you're going to get anything from nikon. as an example, tamron appears to say if a given lens either a) is incompatible, or b) compatible and what (if any) firmware the lens needs to be compatible. i've heard they've updated the fw on some lenses to make them compatible and depending on the lens, that might mean you can do it yourself, or in some cases you can send the lens to them and they'll do it.

Laura, I called Sigma USA about my 150mm Macro not auto focusing on the Z9. It weirded out (froze) the camera and I had to shut it off then back on. No damage to the Z9 8K photos later with Z glass and F mount adapted glass. Even though it is chipped they said it was older version and not compatible and they could/would not update. Shame reall as that was a fabulous lens. I presume it will work in full manual mode, just haven't tried it.
Long story ... just call Sigma.

Thank you John,
I am going to try Sigma's website and agents if necessary but I just felt like it should come from Nikon, after all its their camera. I think it should work as with the Z6 but I would rather be sure first. My camera shop has been asked to check with the agents/importers of Nikon but no one has jumped up to say yay or nay at this point.
Laura,
I think Sigma would be in a more likely spot to answer your question. Nikon makes the camera and their own lenses (or some cases lenses by 3rd parties that are licensed by Nikon). They couldn’t guarantee a 3rd party lens not directly licensed by Nikon will or will not work. Sigma should be able to answer the question though.

i don't think you're going to get anything from nikon. as an example, tamron appears to say if a given lens either a) is incompatible, or b) compatible and what (if any) firmware the lens needs to be compatible. i've heard they've updated the fw on some lenses to make them compatible and depending on the lens, that might mean you can do it yourself, or in some cases you can send the lens to them and they'll do it.
Thank you. I have mailed the Sigma agent’s but no response- I’ll keep trying

Laura,
I think Sigma would be in a more likely spot to answer your question. Nikon makes the camera and their own lenses (or some cases lenses by 3rd parties that are licensed by Nikon). They couldn’t guarantee a 3rd party lens not directly licensed by Nikon will or will not work. Sigma should be able to answer the question though.
Laura,
Laura,
Laura,
Thanks so much for replying jeffnles1. I'll keep trying Sigma..

Hi John,
I'm inclined to agree with you that if it works on the Z6 it should be all good on the Z9, I'm just a little nervous that's all. I found Sigma's website of compatible cameras is very out of date, not even listing the Z6 - mine is already nearly 4 years old.. Thanks for the input though.

Laura, I called Sigma USA about my 150mm Macro not auto focusing on the Z9. It weirded out (froze) the camera and I had to shut it off then back on. No damage to the Z9 8K photos later with Z glass and F mount adapted glass. Even though it is chipped they said it was older version and not compatible and they could/would not update. Shame reall as that was a fabulous lens. I presume it will work in full manual mode, just haven't tried it.
Long story ... just call Sigma.
Thanks so much, I'll just keep hammering away at Sigma then..

This is the type issue why I don't like 3rd party glass. I know they're popular mainly due to reduced cost. But the reduced cost can come back to bite. Reduced performance & build quality, and full compatibility with the range of camera models and in particular future models is problematic.

This is the type issue why I don't like 3rd party glass. I know they're popular mainly due to reduced cost. But the reduced cost can come back to bite. Reduced performance & build quality, and full compatibility with the range of camera models and in particular future models is problematic.
The compatibility issues depend on the camera maker's policy. Without naming brands, market leaders typically prefer a closed system while those seeking to break into the market typically favor a more open policy, licensing the lens mount and communication protocols to third-party makers in order to quickly broaden the market appeal of the system.

Hi Phil,
I hear you but this is not a matter of being cheap, there is simply not currently (as far as I am aware) a Z mount 600mm Nikon (zoom) lens. Since venturing into Z cameras, I have replaced all my very old and outdated glass with Z mount (native ) lenses except in the case of the aforementioned Sigma lens. Simply a matter of necessity for a wildlife shooter. I have had unexpectedly excellent results with the Sigma lens with my original Z6, [bought soon after its (Z6) launch] and its the only non-native lens I own and the only one for which I have use for the adapter which goes with the Z mount. I never had an equivalent Nikon F mount lens to use with the adapter. While the Sigma works really well with the Z6, I was a bit nervous to attach it to the Z9. However, my camera store is setting up some tests with a Z9 and Sigma 150-600mm especially for me, so I await the outcome...

Hi Laura, Where in Africa are you? SA? I have had very good support from the local (CT) Sigma agents and could pass on their contact details - or contact them on your behalf as I have the question. Do you use FTZ or FTZII adaptor? Sigma C or S lens?

Hi Johan,
I'm in CT. I would love to have Sigma's contact details here please. I sent a mail to their office in Jhb and never heard a thing from them. I have the original FTZ adaptor and the Sigma C. I am assuming from your message you are also in CT..
Many thanks

Hi Laura, I got very good support form these people a few years ago. I had technical questions and sought a firmware update which was not possible through the dock. Replace CT and JHB in the numbers below with the appropriate are codes.
TudorTech
4th Floor | Park on Long | 66 Long Street | Cape Town | 8001 | South Africa
Devon De Vos Repairs Administrator
Telephone: CT 001 9007
Garreth Fisher Sales Manager
Telephone: JHB 803 2226
I hope this helps. In CT Theo or Theodore is (was) the repairs person. If you could speak to him it might be your best option.

Hi Laura, I got very good support form these people a few years ago. I had technical questions and sought a firmware update which was not possible through the dock. Replace CT and JHB in the numbers below with the appropriate are codes.
TudorTech
4th Floor | Park on Long | 66 Long Street | Cape Town | 8001 | South Africa
Devon De Vos Repairs Administrator
Telephone: CT 001 9007
Garreth Fisher Sales Manager
Telephone: JHB 803 2226
I hope this helps. In CT Theo or Theodore is (was) the repairs person. If you could speak to him it might be your best option.
Thank you so much Johan. I will keep these numbers in my contacts for future ref. As it happens I have just received a call from my camera store manager who ran some tests using the Z9 and said lens and he said they work together very well, no problems at all. So I'm going to go ahead and get my act together now and run with it. I am going to find out about a firmware update from them in any case.
Much appreciate your input.

Thank you to everyone for your input and sharing. As said to Johan above, I just received the thumbs up for compatibility from the camera store manager who tried it all out in store. So I anticipate that this is the end of the thread I started (unless I have anything to add after trying it myself).
Thanks again
Laura

Back