Compatible or best flash for Nikon Z9/Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking for best /compatible flash for Nikon Z9/Z8. Nikon or others.

Thanks
I use Nikon SB5000s with the Nikon Wireless Remote Control WR-R11a/WR-T10 set when I am travelling as it is lite and reasonably powerful. The combination gives me Radio control from the camera so I can place the speedlight wherever I want it. I also use this setup with a diffuser for macro photography. Some people are uncomfortable with the connection of the WR-R11a to the Z8/Z9 10 pin connector as they feel it exposes the system to damage. I have used the system since it came out and haven’t had any problems.

Where I am not concerned about weight I use the Godox ad200 Pro and the Godox XPro-N wireless trigger. The ad200 is more powerful than the SB5000. The XPro trigger attaches to the camera via the camera’s hot shoe. I mainly use this system for Portraits. I have 4 of the ad200 Pro’s which gives me the option of lighting my subject from various angles and varying power for each light.

Both systems are very easy to use (in my experience that is: others may differ).

Of course Nikon speedlights are going to be the most compatible. However, that compatibility comes at a cost (literally). I love my SB-910, but I purchased it used as Nikon thinks very highly of their speedlights. Godox is probably the best bang for the buck. I do use Godox triggers/receivers and have no compatibility issues with them.

I don't do studio photography and I don't have a studio setup. My only use of flash generally is for balanced fill flash in some settings. For me the sb-5000 works fine as it has been fully compatible with the latest firmware upgrades.

I rely on flash for my business, whether studio or on-camera, and Profoto is reliable, gives great color, and has a simple to use menu when I’m concentrating on 50 different things.

Looking for best /compatible flash for Nikon Z9/Z8. Nikon or others.

Thanks
I have a Nissin I60A that I used on my D500, now my Z8. By the “compatibility chart” and a follow up call to Nissin, they varified I am good to go. Modes = video, Automatic, Manual, TTL and slave! Also has adjustable zoom capability from 24mm - 200mm. Swivels, tilts and has a diffuser and a case that accommodates an extra set of batteries! 👍
Very happy with it!

I am interested in recommendations on a it system for field use. Have maybe one or two boxes and strobe setup for enhancing natural light Lanscape and portrait shots

I am still using my three SB-800 speedlights that never overheat and have fast recycle times and provide plenty of light. If I was going to buy more speedlights they would be the ones from Yongnuo. The Godox TT600 flash has wireless master/slave functionality that is a great free feature.

After reading David Hobby's Strobist blog (highly recommended) several years ago, I picked up a few SB-800s, which if you have more than one, they can be triggered as slaved units. So I can build nice, compact - and mobile - lighting setups. And the SB-800 is TTL compatible with newer cameras, just last weekend I photographed an event with an SB-800 atop my Z9. I don't know how the SB-800 compares size-wise to the SB-5000, but I know it's a bit smaller than the SB-900/910 with almost as much power. The only negative I've read about the SB-800 is the menu isn't as quick and convenient as the newer units, but I find it easy enough to navigate. And since they're no longer being made, you can usually pick up used, good condition units for ~$100. Not bad for a full-featured, relatively compact flash!

Back