Conowingo ~ Eagle vs. Cormorant

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RockvilleBob

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I met Rick at Conowingo Dam yesterday. This was the best day I can remember for Eagle activity in the past dozen years. There was so much going on it was tough deciding where to look, what Eagles to track, etc. Rick is a expert on eagle behavior and activity at the dam, he is one of the cadre of Conowingo Regulars at the dam. Yesterday Rick mentioned that he has seen the Eagles attack the Cormorants that constantly mine the bay for fish, running back and forth over the water.
I feel I captured an eagle attacking a Cormorant - not sure if he was after the fish or the bird. I missed the dive and splash down but got on target shortly after and got a sequence of about 40 shots. The lighting was tough, I was shooting into the sun. Here are some highlights:

THE EAGLE AND THE FLOUNDERING CORMORANT
corm-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

corm-2.jpg

corm-3.jpg

HERE IS THE CORMORANT MAKING ITS ESCAPE

corm-4.jpg

corm-6.jpg

corm-7.jpg

THE EAGLE LEVES WITH NO FISH AND NO CORMORANT

corm-8.jpg

Attachments

• corm-6.jpg
    corm-6.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 31
I met Rick at Conowingo Dam yesterday. This was the best day I can remember for Eagle activity in the past dozen years. There was so much going on it was tough deciding where to look, what Eagles to track, etc. Rick is a expert on eagle behavior and activity at the dam, he is one of the cadre of Conowingo Regulars at the dam. Yesterday Rick mentioned that he has seen the Eagles attack the Cormorants that constantly mine the bay for fish, running back and forth over the water.
I feel I captured an eagle attacking a Cormorant - not sure if he was after the fish or the bird. I missed the dive and splash down but got on target shortly after and got a sequence of about 40 shots. The lighting was tough, I was shooting into the sun. Here are some highlights:

THE EAGLE AND THE FLOUNDERING CORMORANT
View attachment 58848

View attachment 58849

View attachment 58850

HERE IS THE CORMORANT MAKING ITS ESCAPE

View attachment 58851

View attachment 58852

View attachment 58854

THE EAGLE LEVES WITH NO FISH AND NO CORMORANT

View attachment 58855
I had planned to meet you and Rick yesterday at the Dam but life gets in the way . Sounds like you had a great day. I was hoping to get there tomorrow but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 👍👍👍

Great shots, probably traumatic for the cormorant but hope it recovered!

I had planned to meet you and Rick yesterday at the Dam but life gets in the way . Sounds like you had a great day. I was hoping to get there tomorrow but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 👍👍👍
Hey Ralph - I am probably planning one more trip to Conowingo - weather dependant. I'll let you know.
Cool sequence! My guess is that the Cormorant got the worst of that exchange and hopefully took a dive before getting too cut up.
Thank you for looking and commenting

Back