Conowingo Eagles

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RockvilleBob

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I went to Conowingo two days ago, my first outing with my recently delivered Nikon 800mm PF lens. While there were many eagles in the surrounding trees there was minimal fishing activity. I am still on the hunt for the shot of an eagle just snatching a fish from the water. The fishing shots I did get were too far for making a print and of immature eagles. The reason I go to Conowingo is because the eagles fish in a relatively well defined area. Plenty of eagles where I live but very rare to get one fishing.

The first shot is an immature eagle greeting the sun just as it rises over the horizon.

The second shot is a wildlife panorama of n immature eagle fishing, bird in focus but to far for any print. I will need to shoot using 1120 to try capturing a print quality image, maybe even 1600 on a sunny day.

The third shot, another wildlife panorama, illustrates the behavior Rick, who lives near Conowingo, told me about. The eagles are catching small shad and after snatching them they eat the fish on the fly. You can see the eagle bending over to eat the small fish in it's talons.

eagle.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

eagle-pano-1.jpg

pano-3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on the composites. In my observations over the years they tend to gulp down small fish when there are other birds around that might try to rob them. Which is clearly the situation at the dam. Cool behaviors that photography reveals.

Outstanding Bob, and good to see you again.
Thank you Rick
Nice job on the composites. In my observations over the years they tend to gulp down small fish when there are other birds around that might try to rob them. Which is clearly the situation at the dam. Cool behaviors that photography reveals.
Thanks Dan. I appreciate the insight about their behavior. Until the other day I was not aware of this behavior.

Back