Coopers Hawk that has been hunting my bird feeders.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In fact that is blood on his feathers. I think this bird has been coming for a several years. Also a couple Sharpies.
Shot through my kitchen window with my old 300mm f4 on a nikon D7100.
DSC_6973Small.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DSC_6989Small.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

They are persistent and beautiful. Many are upset when they see a hawk taking prey. That is their role. And they need to do it well to survive. I love our bird feeders and the birds they attract, and I love the raptors that come to them to hunt.

Last edited:
i have found that a bit of the Dehaze tool in Lightroom helps with the loss of contrast and sharpness that comes from shooting through the glass.
I don't have Lightroom. Poor man......using Photo Shop 6. Remember you could load the app from a disk, but you own it. I remember getting it at work and the learning curve looked huge. I never got to spend much time with it. I can get most all I want from Photo Shop 6. I am curious as to what I could do with the newer versions.

Reactions: JAS
I don't have Lightroom. Poor man......using Photo Shop 6. Remember you could load the app from a disk, but you own it. I remember getting it at work and the learning curve looked huge. I never got to spend much time with it. I can get most all I want from Photo Shop 6. I am curious as to what I could do with the newer versions.

Took a look at your site and you have a good set of beautiful shots. You also live in a great location for outdoor shooting. You a re doing good stuff with the camera, gear and software you have available. Dehaze is a relatively newer tool in PS and LR. It handles more of microcontrast and help clear haze of other minor issues. You can play with highlights, shadows and contrast to get some of that back in PS6. There may be other things that will work but I do not remember PS6 that well now. Keep up thge good shooting.

I too have bird feeders and indirectly feed sharp-shinned and Coopers hawks and every so often a merlin shows up. The red shouldered hawks are more interested in rodents and band-tailed pigeons which are more of a meal.

The sharp-shinned hawks would fly by the feeders and spook the birds who would then fly into the side of my house and be stunned. The hawk would make a second pass to scoop them up from the ground. I hung 1x1 inch garden netting 8 inches from the walls and this has saved many a bird.

I too have bird feeders and indirectly feed sharp-shinned and Coopers hawks and every so often a merlin shows up. The red shouldered hawks are more interested in rodents and band-tailed pigeons which are more of a meal.

The sharp-shinned hawks would fly by the feeders and spook the birds who would then fly into the side of my house and be stunned. The hawk would make a second pass to scoop them up from the ground. I hung 1x1 inch garden netting 8 inches from the walls and this has saved many a bird.
The hawk pictured flys down to the ground and jumps into my shrubs along the front of the house. He is only a foot of the ground. Big evergreen bush. That is where the House Sparrows fly into to stage for my feeders. Sometimes there are 20 little birds in there. Hawk is smart as a whip. I flush him out of there when I go out the front door all the time. I have the same problem with the Sharp-shinned. I find stunned birds out around my windows all the time. Sharpies are aggressive. I watched one take on a rabbit. He couldn't get it, but he rolled it.

Reactions: JAS
In fact that is blood on his feathers. I think this bird has been coming for a several years. Also a couple Sharpies.
Shot through my kitchen window with my old 300mm f4 on a nikon D7100.
View attachment 32711

View attachment 32712
Awesome. We have 2 Cooper's and one Sharp shinned hawks at our feeders. I also have seen blood from breakfast on a cooper's. My wife has gotten a few shots and some with her cell. I finally last weekend got some and 2 of him leaving his perch. Great pics!!!!

The hawk pictured flys down to the ground and jumps into my shrubs along the front of the house. He is only a foot of the ground. Big evergreen bush. That is where the House Sparrows fly into to stage for my feeders. Sometimes there are 20 little birds in there. Hawk is smart as a whip. I flush him out of there when I go out the front door all the time. I have the same problem with the Sharp-shinned. I find stunned birds out around my windows all the time. Sharpies are aggressive. I watched one take on a rabbit. He couldn't get it, but he rolled it.
Ours hids under the car and waits for the sparrows. Lol

That sounds like a big project. I have seen stripping you can put on your windows to help keep the birds from flying into it. I think this year the song birds are getting hunted harder than in years past. I am finding dead and stunned birds around the house and feather piles on my deck. Winter is tough, they have to eat.

He's a beauty. I love the snow drift on his head :)
When I looked out and saw the hawk, that is the first thing I noticed as well, and, it was snowing hard. Those big fluffy snow flakes. No wind. It was perject!! All my screens are pushed up out of the way so I can shoot without a lot of fusing. I ran through the house shooting from any window with a clear shot. I looked down at my camera to check my histogram, (after I remembered I did not check my settings). Looked up and hawk was gone. Totally missing the flight shot. The whole encounter took less then a few minutes. Nice thing about cameras, I only need 1/2000 of a second of it.

Nice shots, they hunt my feeder as I am always finding feathers on the ground below the feeder. The other day was the first time he landed and stayed around long enough to get a shot to see what was hunting the feeder.

Back