If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've taken a ton of photos of Cooper's Hawks over the last several years (they hunt the song-birds in my yard daily), but this one is among my favorite. Not because its a great photo, but in large part because of the habitat and the situation of the encounter. The shot was taken at one of my favorite So. California Birding locations: Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, near Palm Springs, CA. I'd been standing, quiet and still on a boardwalk/trail that passed through a marshy area. The immature Cooper's Hawk was hunting and had just swooped in low through the woods, landing on this snag about 2' off the ground. It spent a minute or two scanning for prey and then took off, flying effortlessly through the woods:
169315451_10224215447031803_2481390388384546138_n.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've taken a ton of photos of Cooper's Hawks over the last several years (they hunt the song-birds in my yard daily), but this one is among my favorite. Not because its a great photo, but in large part because of the habitat and the situation of the encounter. The shot was taken at one of my favorite So. California Birding locations: Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, near Palm Springs, CA. I'd been standing, quiet and still on a boardwalk/trail that passed through a marshy area. The immature Cooper's Hawk was hunting and had just swooped in low through the woods, landing on this snag about 2' off the ground. It spent a minute or two scanning for prey and then took off, flying effortlessly through the woods:View attachment 28581
Beautiful shot Tom. Had one in my yard the other day looking for songbirds at the feeder.