Copying menu settings from one Z9 to another Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Recently purchased a second Z9 (used). Plan was to copy my menu settings from my original Z9 to my second Z9 to have two identical cameras. Needed to update firmware in second camera to match my original camera. Proceeded to install 4.10 in my second Z9. Then copied menu settings of my original Z9, and attempted to install them in my second body. Install failed, option to load was grayed out. Format card tried again and again no luck. Contacted Nikon Support for assistance, repeated process again and again option to load was still grayed out. Nikon rep said she would need to do additional research. Well couple of days go by no word from Nikon in the meantime my wife downloads firmware 5.0 to the computer ONLY. Couple more days go by still no word from Nikon. Decide to try again, not sure why but checked firmware in my original Z9, now at 5.00 ?????, checked wife’s Z9 now at 5.00 ????? checked my second Z9 still at 4.10. Updated my second Z9 to 5.00 and proceeded to try to copy menu settings, SUCCESS ! Only thing that I did different was use a CF Express card instead of a XQD. Still no response from Nikon. Found it interesting that both the wife’s and my original Z9’s updated firmware without actually doing it. Just wondering why menu settings would not load when both my Z9’s were at 4.10 ? And how or why firmware updated to 5.0 without actually being loaded into too our original cameras ? Thought that I’d share this experience in the end all seems well. Still no reply from Nikon other than a survey that wanted to know how my experience was with my request for assistance.

There is a two stage process to the 5 upgrade. If you did not fully follow both steps it is possible something did not load correctly and it could have led to an inability to copy.

Cameron T, Totally agree that cameras don’t magically update. Asked my wife multiple times and she insists that she didn’t update them and just downloaded 5.0 to the computer.

Are you using NXStudio perhaps? If memory serves, you can set it up such that it will automatically update your camera’s fw, I need to verify for you though. Only if you’re using NXStudio though, ignore my comment if you’re not.

There is a two stage process to the 5 upgrade. If you did not fully follow both steps it is possible something did not load correctly and it could have led to an inability to copy.
Wotan1, The original problem was that my recently purchased second camera would not download my menu settings from my first camera. This happened after updating the firmware to 4.1 in the second camera to match my original camera. As for firmware 5.0 my wife only downloaded the firmware to the computer. Some how both of our original Z9’s updated firmware to 5.0 then my second camera was updated to 5.0. To download menu settings both cameras must have the same firmware. After installing 5.0 menu settings was successfully done.

Back