Costa Rica Trip Advice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello - I'll be taking a family trip (not a solo photography trip) to Costa Rica in mid-July. We'll spend five days at an ecolodge a few miles south of La Fortuna and then head to the coast (Manuel Antonio). I'm planning to take a number of guided tours (bird tour and a few other nature-oriented excursions). Never having been to this type of area, I'm having a tough time deciding what gear to bring. Options include:
  • Nikon Z8
    • Z 400mm f/4.5 w/TC-1.4
    • FTZ adapter
  • Nikon D500 and/or D750
  • AF-S 300mm f/4 w/TC-1.4 II
  • 70-200mm VR II
  • 16-80 DX f/2.8-4
  • 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR
  • RRS TVC-24L w/BH-55
  • Wimberley Sidekick
  • Gitzo Monopod w/Wimberley monopod head
  • SB-600 Flash & Better Beamer
I've been amazed at the slow shutter speeds I've been able to use with the Z8 that were much less reliable on the D500 which makes me wonder if just going with a monopod is enough. Also,I understand there's a decent amount of rain at this time of year, and my 300mm isn't really weather sealed.

A few related questions:
  1. Do you insure your gear when you travel? If so, is there a US-based carrier you'd recommend?
  2. Do you check your tripod legs in your luggage? This definitely makes me a bit nervous.
  3. My 300mm has a fairly short minimum focus distance, but I'm wondering about renting a macro. If I go with F-mount, I won't have to deal with swapping lenses, but Z-mount will all me to take advantage of some of the cool features like focus stacking. Thoughts?
Thanks so much for any and all advice.

Only one time trip there, with Steve a couple years ago, so limited experience. But my 2 cents. Others can also provide excellent advice.
Most in the group were using tripods, its dark under the canopy or with clouds, so longer shutter speeds and targets further away. As often looking up into the canopy, at monkeys and birds, a taller tripod will be a lot more comfortable. Had a monopod and tripod, used the tripod the most.
Had no problems with tripod in checked baggage, just wrap in clothes. Won't fit in under seat unless using very small travel tripod that won't be as stable.
Check your home owners coverage re your photo equip, that covered my trip.
Do you need both the 16-80 AND the 24-85? If you are going to be on a small commuter aircraft, weight is an issue.
Have a great time!

In my many years taking photos and traveling I have yet to hear of a case where a thief invaded a suitcase to steal a tripod. It might have happened to someone, sometime, but it would be a really rare event.

That said, on a "family trip" where you will on the move taking tours with a guide, I wonder how much use you will have for a tripod. Your photography may well be more of the "run and gun" type; a monopod will do, or even just handheld.

For insurance, you might look into a special "rider" policy associated with your homeowner's insurance, one that covers specified pieces of camera gear.

You should definitely bring a backup camera body.

Your Z8 with 400 plus 1.4x should be adequate for your bird and wildlife photography. After that, you need to decide what other types of photos you are likely to take. The 24-85 is a full frame lens, right? For general travel photography it clearly would be preferable to the 16-80, unless you want to carry two cameras in the field, one full frame and one DX.

If you have to "triage" in order to save weight, don't bother with the flash; you might use it for some hummingbird photography, but little else.

I personally rarely end up taking a lot of photos with a 70-200 when I travel. Maybe that's just me.

Consider that you might end up taking some quick scenics and grab shots with your (gasp!) phone. I always do.

--Doug Greenberg

Last edited:
I did a trip to Costa Rica in 2018 on the Osa Peninsula. An amazing place with extraordinary biodiversity. I mostly photographed monkeys, birds and frogs, with a few other critters sprinkled in -- butterflies, snakes, crocodiles and a sloth. I used a D500 and D7200, with a 200-500 mm Nikon zoom and the 300 mm PF lens. I appreciated having 500 mm available (and I was shooting DX then) and the 300 mm PF at f4 was nice for animals that were closer. I also had the 70-180 Nikon zoom macro lens and a 16-80 mm midrange zoom. The macro zoom was nice for frogs, but I also found the 300 mm PF worked well for that (and the working distance is nice for snakes). The midrange zoom was nice for scenics, but I did not use it for wildlife.

Is your 300 mm lens the 300 mm PF lens? It has a very nice minimum focus distance.

I do not know the area you are going to. Assume the initial area may be forested, with low light at least at times? The coast may be brighter.

I would certainly take the Z8 and Z 400 mm f4.5 and Z 1.4x TC. It's a great combination and I am enjoying shooting it from my kayak this summer (also with the Z 2x TC). Good reach and decent in low light, especially without the TC. Great AF, including for action. And if you do not have other Z lenses, you could use your F mount lenses with an FTZ or FTZII adapter (although the 16-80 lens, being DX, would cause the Z8 to go into DX mode).

I always take a backup body. Some complexities here, as Z mount lenses will not work on a DSLR.

I took a tripod on my trip, but used it very little. I mostly shoot wildlife handheld, walking around or in a zodiac, canoe or kayak. I also use a tripod much less when with family, as it takes time to set up, which my wife does not like when we are hiking. When I bring a tripod (as I usually do on photo trips), I pack it in my checked luggage.

Good luck. I'm sure it will be a wonderful trip.

I would take the 70-200mm and the TC-14 teleconverter and a macro lens. With the D750 you have the option of using the Nikon 200mm f/4 micro lens which is the best possible macro lens for Costa Rica with its very small amphibians and vipers. The alternative is the Nikon 105mm MC S-mount lens on the Z8 but then you will not be able to fire the SB-600 unless it is on the hot shoe which is not good for macro subjects, though you can buy a Nikon SU-800 flash controller.

On my boat tours the distances to the subjects are not suitable for using a prime lens and you will want a zoom lens to be able to make adjustment to the focal length.

Just got back on Sunday from what is probably a similar trip... was a family vacation, not a photo trip but had to bring my camera. We started in Manuel Antonio and then finished in Arenal/La Fortuna area. Had my Sony a1 and 100-400 plus my 1.4x. While I definitely got some keepers, 400mm was often not even close to enough, not to mention that 5.6 was very difficult. Even on sunny days, it's very dark (as it relates to photographic conditions) nearly every place there is animals. I used my travel tripod with the camera timer a lot, just so I could get down to super slow shutter speeds in an effort to keep ISO reasonable. And reasonable was still often over 1000. Of course, that limits you to things like sleeping sloths, perched birds, lizards, etc. I would have loved to have had my 600 f4 but it just wasn't practical to bring for a family vacation. We saw tons of awesome stuff but capturing solid (let alone great) pics... pretty difficult. I'm sure it's obviously a bit different on a focused wildlife trip down on the OSA like Steve does but for what you're doing, it may not be a bad idea to temper your photo expectations. Seeing all the stuff and being amazed, definitely! From what you have, I would definitely say the 400 4.5 with the Z8 and bring the converter. I would go with a tripod if you have a light weight travel one. I had a blast and did get some decent stuff, just being honest with you.

I've been to Costa Rica twice, returning again next year. The Osa Peninsula, Northern Plains, Rain Forest, Cloud Rain Forest, and High Cloud Forest. For me, reach was always the issue, so the longest reach you can get the better. Even for monkeys and sloths. If your into landscapes, a wide angle or medium wide angle can be of use, but I shoot largely wildlife so left those behind on both trips. I'd only bring a macro if you know you will be in a situation to do so. Im my case both trips had "macro sessions" so I did. If I was on a more casual trip I'd leave them behind. I find it rare to find such subjects unless pre planned for. I'm a tripod person, so always bring a tripod and often also a monopod for lengthy outings in deep forest. I have never had a problem packing my tripod and monopod in checked luggage, along with my gimbal head also in checked luggage. Be aware of temperature/condensation issues going out in the morning from a cold hotel room into a hot/humid environment. If you can keep your gear in the bathroom with the bathroom door closed, and not chill the room too much this helps. Putting your closed camera bag with gear inside out on the balcony (if you have one and it's secure) in the morning to slowly raise temps will also help. Going from a cold hotel room to hot/humid outside your gear needs to acclimate to prevent condensation on not only the front lens element, but sometimes also the inside element inside where the lens meets the camera internals. I have had to pull a lens off my camera body...hold it out in the open air to evaporate moisture, and reattach in the field. Not a biggy but a tip.

For travel gear insurance, a few years back when I could finally afford pricey gear I bit the bullet, went to my State Farm insurance agent, and bought a supplemental policy for my gear...covers me anywhere I go. I can drop my lens off the side of a boat and I'm covered...just what I did...got too much invested in gear at this point....oh and my laptop I bring is also covered.

Most camera batteries and laptops these days support 220 volts...but make sure you bring an adapter for that region. Allot of modern hotels in Costa Rica have the "US" three prong outlets, but not all. Oh...and bring a cheap 2 prong to 3 prong us adapter...I have run into 2 prong only outlets there and my power strip and other devices were three prong.

Plenty of lens wipes...and a small quick evaporate towel like REI sells are nice to have. I have been caught in downpours in the rain forests and was glad I had the lens coat rain sleeves, but depending on time of year and location that may not be your issue...just mentioning. B&H has really cheap lens covers for a couple bucks than can be small, compact, cheap, and nice to have.

Oh and bug repellant....Ive been standing in swampy rookeries and the only time I was eaten alive was when I ran out to shoot and did not apply. Picaradin is a natural repellent that comes in a spray bottle and works very well for me. Oh, and a Sun hat.

Hope this is helpful.

A lightweight parka works the best to protect you and your camera bag from the rain. It is hot and humid and the parka allows your body to breathe. On my last trip to Costa Rica I had a 600mm f/4 lens, 500mm PF lens, the 80-400mm zoom, and the 200mm f/4 macro. This was my first trip to Costa Rica with the 500mm PF lens. I used the 600mm f/4 lens for fewer than 5% of my shots.

I kept the 500mm on one D850 and the 80-400mm lens on the second camera and having focal lengths from 80mm to 500mm worked well on land and great when shooting from a boat. I took a tripod for the 600mm lens but on future trips to Costa Rica I would probably leave the tripod at home. A long macro lens and macro flash kit were great but the 200mm does not work with the Z9 so stuck with the 105mm which is shorter than is optimum for fast moving frogs and snakes.

When I went to CR in 2019 , I was mostly in the mountains for hummingbird photography and not at sea level for coastal photography. I took two Nikon bodies, D 500 and D810. Lenses taken and used the most: Nikon 500mm f5.6 pf and Nikon 300mm f4 pf and Nikon 70-200mm f4. I used the Nikon 24-85mm occasionally. Accessories used: 1.4xtc and extension tube for 300mm f4 so I did not have to bring a macro lens. And a SB 800 flash for hummingbirds.

If you know you will be doing a lot of macro, then the Nikon 105mm f2.8 will work well for you. Since the 300mm f4 focues pretty close I use it a lot for flower photography.

Other must have accessories: tripod and tripod head, , in my checked baggage. Head removed from the tripod. Laptop; Rain cover or dry bag for longest lens and camera; surge protector and adapter plugs (some locations might not have US plugs as I recall ????). Large bag of desiccant (500 grams minimum) to dry out your laptop and photo equipment as you can be in very humid locations. My tripod was a series 2 Induro carbon fiber tripod. I took a US adapter plug too--one with just two prongs as some outlets did not accept US three prong plugs. And a power strip.

Do not leave your electronics plugged in all the time as random power spikes could damage them. When plugged in use the surge protector. Here is the one I took with me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015DYMVO/?tag=backcogaller-20

CR is a wonderful country. Water is safe to drink. Have a great trip.

Last edited:
Just got back a few weeks ago from the Osa Peninsula. It was a family trip, not a pure photography trip so I didn't use the tripod I brought, not really having the time to sit and wait for things. We were on small planes several times, restricting our luggage, so I took my Olympus kit. By far my most used lens was the Olympus 300mm f4 (600mm full frame equivalent). Monkeys and birds are small and relatively wary so you need reach. Other than wildlife, there aren't a lot of opportunities for landscape shots in the rainforest.

To climb out on a limb, so to speak, if I were taking my Nikon gear I probably would take only two lenses, the 100-400 Z and the 24-120 Z, plus the teleconverter. From your list, that'd be the 24-85 and the FTZ, I don't shoot much in the 70-200 range myself, finding that it's either not short enough or not long enough for what I want to take. Take the D750. The 100-400 focuses close enough that I think it would cover most of your macro needs.

My .02c

Hello - I'll be taking a family trip (not a solo photography trip) to Costa Rica in mid-July. We'll spend five days at an ecolodge a few miles south of La Fortuna and then head to the coast (Manuel Antonio). I'm planning to take a number of guided tours (bird tour and a few other nature-oriented excursions). Never having been to this type of area, I'm having a tough time deciding what gear to bring. Options include:
  • Nikon Z8
    • Z 400mm f/4.5 w/TC-1.4
    • FTZ adapter
  • Nikon D500 and/or D750
  • 70-200mm VR II
  • 16-80 DX f/2.8-4
  • 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR
  • RRS TVC-24L w/BH-55
  • Wimberley Sidekick
I've been amazed at the slow shutter speeds I've been able to use with the Z8 that were much less reliable on the D500 which makes me wonder if just going with a monopod is enough. Also,I understand there's a decent amount of rain at this time of year, and my 300mm isn't really weather sealed.

A few related questions:
  1. Do you insure your gear when you travel? If so, is there a US-based carrier you'd recommend?
  2. Do you check your tripod legs in your luggage? This definitely makes me a bit nervous.
  3. My 300mm has a fairly short minimum focus distance, but I'm wondering about renting a macro. If I go with F-mount, I won't have to deal with swapping lenses, but Z-mount will all me to take advantage of some of the cool features like focus stacking. Thoughts?
I’ve been there 3 times. If you plan to go to the very humid areas like the cloud forest, weather sealing is a must. Lenses can fog up inside (one of mine did). The next time I went I took humidity caps for the lens. It involves a modified cap where you put a silica pouch) I got them from B&H.
Some coastal areas can be dry but mostly it is just humid.

Hey there! It sounds like you have an exciting trip planned to Costa Rica. Considering the nature-oriented excursions and the potential for rain, here's some gear advice:

1. The Nikon Z8 seems like a versatile option, especially if you've had success with slow shutter speeds. Its weather sealing can handle some rain, but be cautious and protect it when necessary.
2. The Z 400mm f/4.5 with the TC-1.4 can be excellent for birding and wildlife photography.
3. Bringing the FTZ adapter will allow you to use your F-mount lenses with the Z8 if needed.
4. The 16-80mm DX lens can be great for general photography, offering a flexible range.
5. Considering the rain and lens limitations, a monopod should be sufficient for stability and mobility.

As for your related questions:

1. It's wise to insure your gear when you travel. Companies like Egypt Tours Plus.
2. It's generally recommended to carry your tripod legs in your luggage, securely packed to prevent damage. Consider a padded tripod case for added protection.
3. Renting a macro lens can be a great idea if you're interested in close-up shots. Choosing between F-mount and Z-mount depends on your preference for convenience versus utilizing the advanced features of the Z-mount system.

Remember to pack weather-resistant covers for your gear, use silica gel packs to prevent moisture, and bring extra batteries and memory cards. Have an amazing trip, and enjoy capturing the beautiful nature of Costa Rica!

• Nikon Z8
    • Z 400mm f/4.5 w/TC-1.4
    • FTZ adapter
  • Nikon D500 and/or D750
  • 70-200mm VR II
  • 16-80 DX f/2.8-4
  • 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR
  • RRS TVC-24L w/BH-55
  • Wimberley Sidekick

A few related questions:
Have a great trip, wave as you drive past Playa Jaco. If you need any local help/advice, LMK.

It's been raining nonstop in the Central Pacific, btw.

Just back from Costa Rica visiting the Osa peninsula, Corcovado, Monteverde and the Arenal volcano region. As mentioned by some others, humidity is very high and even sealed lenses will fog inside. I had forgotten the dessicants which was a mistake. If you are into birds, the longer the better. My setup was as follows: 2 z9, 100-400, 800pfc, 105 macro and the 24-120 for landscape, 1.4 and 2 extenders. Everything fit in my guragear bag 30+ with a small laptop (15kg). This is above the 10kg limit but we were 2 so I could spread some of the weight if needed. It was not. I had a tripod and a Monopod. Only used the monopod as it is way easier and quicker to setup. My monopod has spread feet for higher stabilization. I used pretty much everything except for the extenders due to the lack of light in the rain forest. Keep in mind that nature is awake early (5am) and by 10 hides more because of the heat. The late afternoon usually end up in rain … so limited light unless you are lucky. By mid July is the start of the rainy season. The cloud forest is cooler but much denser. You will have plenty of opportunities for the macro (frogs, snakes, insects and plants. For frogs I use a led continuous panel instead of flashes with diffuser. It is less taxing for the night frogs and can provide enough lights (if graded).
Dry bags (several is a must) and rain cover for the equipment. A good wide hat, sun cream and repellent.
Have fun

You need to let the cameras and lens warm up before taking them out of the bag or an air conditioned vehicle. I keep my gear that I took outside in the cases until they have acclimated to the temperature of the room when going indoors to avoid condensation. I have never had a problem with fogging as a result and this includes places in Asia with 90+ percent humidity.

Back