Costa Rica Trip, April 2024

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

aringer

Supporting Member
Marketplace
After a lot of research, including posts from BCG and suggestions from members, I had a great trip to Costa Rica in April. I visited Sarapiqui, Tarcoles and Gerardo de Dota. Hard to pick only 8 when you come back with 10,386 images 🤣. Fist cull has them down to 4700, now I have to fine tune it. I took my two Z8s, the 28-75 f2.8 (least used), the 100-400 got the occasional use, the 105 macro for the frogs and the 400 f4 PF (F mount) with FTZ adapter and 1.4 TC. Probably used it 85% of the time. Saw mostly birds, a couple of sloths that were sleeping (so just a ball of hair up a tree), crocks and and some peccaris in between bushes. I'm going back in November with a small group.
CR BCG-.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
CR BCG-0616.JPG
CR BCG-0648.JPG
CR BCG-0761.JPG
CR BCG-2897.JPG
CR BCG-3859.JPG
CR BCG-7335.JPG
CR BCG-8100.JPG

Excellent images. I’m headed there soon…taking my 600PF which I expect to get the majority of the work with and without the 1.4TC. Second Z8 will have the 180-600 or the 100-400 depending on whether the MFD and better reproduction ratio of the latter are needed. And will take either the 24-70 or 24-120 depending on backpack space just in case but I expect neither to be used much…err, just checked and the 24-120 actually has slightly better reproduction ratio albeit it at 120 instead of 400 so maybe that’s a better overall choice. Have to decide soon though.

Excellent images. I’m headed there soon…taking my 600PF which I expect to get the majority of the work with and without the 1.4TC. Second Z8 will have the 180-600 or the 100-400 depending on whether the MFD and better reproduction ratio of the latter are needed. And will take either the 24-70 or 24-120 depending on backpack space just in case but I expect neither to be used much…err, just checked and the 24-120 actually has slightly better reproduction ratio albeit it at 120 instead of 400 so maybe that’s a better overall choice. Have to decide soon though.
The 24-120 is a good range, but if the 24-70 is 2.8 it may come in handy with low light situations. Have a great trip!

The 24-120 is a good range, but if the 24-70 is 2.8 it may come in handy with low light situations. Have a great trip!
Mine is f4…and as I just posted in a new thread I took a look at macro ratio and the 24-120 and 100-400 are basically the same…so I’m looking at the former as a possible close up lens and leave the 100-400 behind as the 600PF and 180-600 will cover everything else and @ less lens to carry that way. If I take the 100-400 I still need one of the shorter ones I think…although my iPhone 15 Pro Max covers the short range stuff pretty well I would probably not want to stop at 100mm on the short end.

Back