Costa Rica Trip

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

We were there in March and while my two Sons aren’t avid photographers, he sparked their creative interests, even though they just had IPhone 11’s! He was excellent at making suggestions when we were coming upon a photo opportunity, as well as when we were taking pictures. Getting desirable positioning of the subject, along with sharp AF, can be a real challenge as monkeys are moving through the trees. If he saw one of us was struggling, he would make a suggestion as to where to move to, to get that desired “keeper”! We got great pictures of all four breeds! Dennis provided assistance/suggestions in a very comfortable/personable manner.

Additional comment:
1) during our one week visit, we also spent two days fishing at Osa Penninsula and the four of us caught 40+ fish (10+ species) with must ranging from 10# to 65#. Guessing we caught in excess of 500# of fish - all catch n release except for two 5#-10# daily) for fish tacos/frying - one for us and one for guide. Guide Corey had a great boat and daily rate was very reasonable!
2) a fabulous resort (Botanical) has just been opened there as well. They are selling units, but I think they also have rentals.

Check it out!
Botanika / Crocodile Bay is where we've conducted over 20 Costa Rica workshops, so I'm familiar :) In fact, we still use them as our Osa resort for workshops and our participants love it.

They do a great job as you say. We've been fishing, whale watching, and of course we done a ton of photography. They do rent the condos and Rose and I stayed in one for a month last year running our the 2022 workshops. Super nice. (y)

Botanika / Crocodile Bay is where we've conducted over 20 Costa Rica workshops, so I'm familiar :) In fact, we still use them as our Osa resort for workshops and our participants love it.

They do a great job as you say. We've been fishing, whale watching, and of course we done a ton of photography. They do rent the condos and Rose and I stayed in one for a month last year running our the 2022 workshops. Super nice. (y)
I am betting that you have met my friend Tom, as he is a close friend of Dennis’s. Tom and his wife have a home not too far from Botanika. Tom actually did a presentation at Botanika, for what I think was one of their initial openings. He gave away a couple of portraits. They provided us with a “trip of a lifetime!”

I am betting that you have met my friend Tom, as he is a close friend of Dennis’s. Tom and his wife have a home not too far from Botanika. Tom actually did a presentation at Botanika, for what I think was one of their initial openings. He gave away a couple of portraits. They provided us with a “trip of a lifetime!”
Hmm - I don't remember a Tom - I'll have to ask Dennis about him next time we chat :)

I am hoping to get input from those with Costa Rica experience. Am hoping to get there this winter for some wildlife photography and not sure which area to to stay in. Thanks in advance.
it has been a few years now since I was there, but we toured only the east... tourtugerou, which is a national park, Arinal, Irrazu, which is another national park, Monteverdia, for all of the humming birds, LaFourtuna, for more birds. I know that the south west is good, but have not been there personally. this was an unbelieveable trip! have fun.

We were on the workshop in July with Dennis and Steve. Dennis knows the area and is extremely knowledgable about the area, the plants and animals as well as a highly skilled photographer. Steve helped train him so its the next best thing to going on a Steve Perry workshop especially in Costa Rica.

We're going to be announcing our 2023 Costa Rica workshops soon - probably before mid-December. I'm not running them, but a good friend (Dennis) is. He's easily the best photographer on the Osa and probably amount the top 5% in the country. He has a ton of experience and is, frankly, a better hands-on teacher than I am. We have a group with him now and they are having an absolute blast. Keep an eye out for an announcement in an upcoming newsletter.
I agree wholeheartedly with Steve. I went to CR in June of 2021 and stayed at the Crocadile Bay resort on the Osa peninsula. Dennis was our guide and he is an amazing photographer, knowing settings and photographer placement for the best wildlife photos. He also is amazing when it comes to spotting birds, sloths, etc. June had some rain every day but usually at night and the days were somewhat overcast which made the light perfect. Great trip. I think Steve has stayed at the same resort.

Back