Cotton carrier and big primes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hobbzz

Anyone use a cotton carrier with a 400 2.8 or 500/600 f4? I'm wondering if the camera body will hit your chin considering the clip would be on the lens foot and how comfortable the whole setup is.

I use the cotton carrier vest with the Sony A1 and 600GM with tc and carry that combo 2-4 miles every time I go out with no issues whatsoever. I typically let it swing diagonally a bit. In the spring and summer an attach a second camera with a smaller lens such as for macro. I bought the double vest a couple years ago and I can definitely say, it's one of the best photography purchases I've ever made. The vests are very comfortable but will take a fe minutes to adjust and set up thee first time. I put my mounting lug on the camera body with smaller lenses but on the foot on larger lenses. It also come with safety lanyards you can attach to the camera or lens in case of dropping it.

Z9/ 300 2.8 with a 2x TC on occasion. It is a handful (or chestful) I never carry my 600 f4G without at least a monopod.
Thanks for the input.

I use the cotton carrier vest with the Sony A1 and 600GM with tc and carry that combo 2-4 miles every time I go out with no issues whatsoever. I typically let it swing diagonally a bit. In the spring and summer an attach a second camera with a smaller lens such as for macro. I bought the double vest a couple years ago and I can definitely say, it's one of the best photography purchases I've ever made. The vests are very comfortable but will take a fe minutes to adjust and set up thee first time. I put my mounting lug on the camera body with smaller lenses but on the foot on larger lenses. It also come with safety lanyards you can attach to the camera or lens in case of dropping it.
Thanks. I was wondering about the lanyard. I was thinking I was going to have to rig something up myself.

I have a z9 and 600mm f4E I always wondered about the cotton carrier with such a big lens. Currently using a park design with a separate arcs mount.
IMG_0314.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have a z9 and 600mm f4E I always wondered about the cotton carrier with such a big lens. Currently using a park design with a separate arcs mount. View attachment 60259
This is how I have mine set up and I either connect these connectors to the lens and use the little anchors provided by peak design with these clips or if I am using a small lens I’ll connect to the camera body. Like I said normally when I go out, I walk anywhere between two and 4 miles, and I have carried the 600 mm prime and body along with another body and a smaller lens on the vest with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I will say again it is the best $150 I have ever spent on any photography gear. There is many ways you can use these lanyards, but I have found the pink design clips are the easiest to manage and they’re pretty cheap as well.
IMG_9263.jpeg
IMG_9262.jpeg
IMG_9261.jpeg

I use the Cotton Carrier system with a Z9 + 400 mm TC 2.8, sometimes with an external TC. I adjust the vest so the lens and camera are at a reasonable height. I don't fully trust the cotton Carrier tethers for this heavy kit. I set up a heavier lanyard just in case.

I use the Cotton Carrier system with a Z9 + 400 mm TC 2.8, sometimes with an external TC. I adjust the vest so the lens and camera are at a reasonable height. I don't fully trust the cotton Carrier tethers for this heavy kit. I set up a heavier lanyard just in case.
Thanks. That's what I had planned in doing as well. Something more sturdy than a quick release clip.

we are using it already several years. my partner carried D850+400/2.8 with it and 400/2.8 is quite a big lens. The problem is that is swings when you go. And it is very difficult to run with it. I know that my partner has a button on the objectiv collar, it swings less. We have put also an additional clip at the back (sewed) and I could put my camera on the back of my partner as well ;-) so that he has a good balance ;-)
We've never used any security belts and it has naver dropped down. In contrary it was sometimes difficult to get it out quickly.
My partner loves that system. I prefer to caryy the camera in the hands to have it quickly ready.

I've just taken delivery of MrJanGear's front carrier and will get a Kirk secure lock as well to be (yet more) safe. Yet to use it in the field but felt comfortable at home. Anyone has used those? I have a 600mm f/4e with a Z9 to contend with and it has a big replacement Arca Swiss foot, so that won't work with the cotton carrier, right?

I've just taken delivery of MrJanGear's front carrier and will get a Kirk secure lock as well to be (yet more) safe. Yet to use it in the field but felt comfortable at home. Anyone has used those? I have a 600mm f/4e with a Z9 to contend with and it has a big replacement Arca Swiss foot, so that won't work with the cotton carrier, right?
I have a large wimberly replacement for my Sony 600 F4 Sony lens, and I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I even have enough room left to put it in my tripod with the lug still bolted to the bottom of the foot.
IMG_9279.jpeg

Right, that's great to hear--but from the official pictures, they seem to have small round slots to insert the foot into, but the last picture seems to be showing a Wimberley (I use that too) compatible foot attached to the carrier somehow, so apologies for being a bit obtuse: how are they kept together, I can't see?

Right, that's great to hear--but from the official pictures, they seem to have small round slots to insert the foot into, but the last picture seems to be showing a Wimberley (I use that too) compatible foot attached to the carrier somehow, so apologies for being a bit obtuse: how are they kept together, I can't see?
you have to drop the camera down into the slot sideways and then spin it once it has spun you can’t pull it back out of it. It’s like an eccentric shape, lug the bolts to the bottom of your camera or the lens foot with a quarter inch Allen bolt.

you have arrows on the lug that have to go in line with the camera so it’s orientated correctly then when you drop the camera down into the holder, it has to be sideways
IMG_9281.jpeg
IMG_9282.jpeg

Oh wow, thanks for this great explanation! Amazing stuff. I think I'm going to have a go with the MrJanGear carrier first, wouldn't be fair if I hadn't tried that :) but this design seems a safer and potentially easier on the back to handle option so I'll put an order for that too and compare.

Oh wow, thanks for this great explanation! Amazing stuff. I think I'm going to have a go with the MrJanGear carrier first, wouldn't be fair if I hadn't tried that :) but this design seems a safer and potentially easier on the back to handle option so I'll put an order for that too and compare.
I purchased a MrJanGear carrier after seeing it mentioned in a thread a couple of months back. I think it is great. I only have a Sony a7iv with the 100-400 gm lens and two TC’s but with a bung shoulder it is a really comfortable bit of gear to carry my setup . For my kit it is best to carry with the lens fully extended and the camera just sitting in the carrier otherwise it can slip out. Although the carrier has some non slip pads inside my kit is a bit small really. A large prime would be fine. I could increase these a bit but I use a security strap so haven’t bothered. The other great thing for me is adding or removing a TC. It makes it so simple. I seem to struggle a bit otherwise, not enough hands. There are two issues I have had. I put the TC’s in the front pocket along with a blower. The pocket hangs out a bit and I am worried about something falling out when bending over. I fixed this by putting the gear in an old long haul flight utilities pouch from Emirates. Just the right shape and it sits in there beautifully. The other problem is the strap hooks, surprisingly they can unhook when bending over. Again a simple fix with some tape. If someone wants to try the concept Amazon have dog harnesses that fit around the chest of dogs to give them support. An aid for aging dogs mainly. The largest size could easily be fashioned into one of these carriers. Good luck with it.

I like the Kirk Security Strap SS-1 that sells for $80 to carry large lenses around in the field. I can support the weight with a shoulder and use one hand to steady the lens which leaves my other hand free to carry a tripod. I can move faster and with less risk of getting hung up on brush or taking a tumble.

After a couple of close calls I learned to have a camera and lens mounted on the tripod head and to then remove the camera strap and not have a lens strap in place which I could accidentally grab and cause the camera and lens to crash to the ground.

The Kirk SS-1 clamps on any Arca-Swiss compatible foot or lens plate and zero worries of it coming loose and the lens or camera getting damaged. The strap takes very little space and I store it in a pocket of the lens case or in my backpack so it is always available.

I have a large wimberly replacement for my Sony 600 F4 Sony lens, and I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I even have enough room left to put it in my tripod with the lug still bolted to the bottom of the foot.
I have a Z9 and 400 mm TC2.8 which I use with a Benro GHC gimbal. With my replacement foot, the balance point is nearly under the lens foot mount. W@ith the Cotton Carrier attachment in place, I can't bring the lens far enough forward in the gimbal mount to get proper balance. I don't often carry this kit far but when I do, I put a flat, longer plate against the lens foot, mount the carrier attachment further back and then can balance in the gimbal with no problem, with or without an external TC. I use the lens strap and have not had a problem with the lens tilting as I hike.

Just to update you on my findings from last weekend. Carried a Z9 with 600mm f4e attached (as well as an XL Shimodo backpack) for about 6 hours straight on a MrJanGear carrier--that was really comfortable and easy to deploy and shoot (and put the gear back into). I also had a Cotton Carrier with me but did not try that--it feels like it has quite a few parts to it plus that extra attachment, so wasn't tempted ... Will try that next time I'm out in the fields.

Back