If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Visit to Crex Meadows in Grantsburg, WI at sunrise today on Phantom Lake Road. Orange illumination from the sun at the moment the started to rise above the distant canopy of leafless trees. Lively with Cranes today!! Nikon D850 with Nikon 500 PF f5.6 lens.
Cranes in the light of the rising sun2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Thank you JAS! I was in the same spot in September at sunrise and the position of the sun was more north and MUCH larger and orange for a longer period of time. Today the sun was more south and much smaller and came up over the trees in a FLASH! It kept the orange color until it was above the tree line, then the sky just faded to a pink and then blue in just a few minutes. Just amazing. So glad I was there at twilight since it would be so easy to miss. Again like in September, the rising sun seemed to make the cranes come alive and start flying up out of the wetland.

Reactions: JAS
Thank you JAS! I was in the same spot in September at sunrise and the position of the sun was more north and MUCH larger and orange for a longer period of time. Today the sun was more south and much smaller and came up over the trees in a FLASH! It kept the orange color until it was above the tree line, then the sky just faded to a pink and then blue in just a few minutes. Just amazing. So glad I was there at twilight since it would be so easy to miss. Again like in September, the rising sun seemed to make the cranes come alive and start flying up out of the wetland.
I hope to get back out to Horicon NWR this week. We saw many birds there last week and the week before. They will be heading out over the next few weeks and I want to get a few more shots. Crex Meadows is too log a drive from Miklwaukee, but maybe someday.

I grew up in West Allis/Wauwatosa so I am very familiar with Horicon Marsh. When I was in college at Oshkosh State U in 1965 I took a physical geography course and we took a one day field trip through Horicon in the fall. I thought the fields were just turned up clumps of mud until we got close and it was a field full of Geese!!!

I grew up in West Allis/Wauwatosa so I am very familiar with Horicon Marsh. When I was in college at Oshkosh State U in 1965 I took a physical geography course and we took a one day field trip through Horicon in the fall. I thought the fields were just turned up clumps of mud until we got close and it was a field full of Geese!!!
Sounds like we were on the same turf. I grew up in Milwaukee near the old Jonson Cookie factory and went to Ripon College 1969-1973. You could hear the gees in the fall any time you went outside! Still visit several times each year, and hope to get there this week before the birds are all gone!