Creating HD Space On PC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

K9Kirk

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Does anyone use flash drives to create more space on their pc's hard drive? I'm using a computer with a small 256 gb hd and it's almost full with 'keepers' so what I decided to do was buy a cheap 256 gb flash drive to move all those "keeepers" onto and then clear all the pics on the hd to create space for new pics. Is this common practice?

External USB drives are super cheap these days. And small. I keep all of one years raw files in one folder on the computer drive. When I start to run out of space I move a previous year to an external drive but keep it linked to my one lightroom catalog that holds all.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I'll just get either the largest external SSD hd that I can afford or another internal and yank the existing drive. :)

Not knowing your PC's specs, not sure if this would work for you. My last computer, that I just replaced last week, had a 180GB SSD for the OS drive, and an internal 2GB platter drive. The new one I just got had a 1TB NVMe drive, with bays for extra drives. I added a 4TB Samsung internal SSD. This should give me working space for awhile!

Flash drives are not reliable for long term storage. Better to invest in an external HD for storage. SSD are great, but..... If the external HD is for storage, you don't need an SSD....just look for a 7200 rpm external HD. If you are going to work on images on the external hard drive, then an SSD makes sense.

External USB drives are super cheap these days. And small. I keep all of one years raw files in one folder on the computer drive. When I start to run out of space I move a previous year to an external drive but keep it linked to my one lightroom catalog that holds all.
This is exactly what I do! I also copy the previous year folders to a second USB drive for redundancy.

I have a lot to say about this so bear with me as I lay it all out. I just went through a lot of changes trying to manage images and I have learned a lot of hard lessons in the past few months. I just got done revising everything so I am laying out some of what I learned. Most of what I learned I gained from others on this site.

you have also to consider backing up your images. Hard drives can fail and if you have it all on one drive you can lose everything. Typically they recommend something like at least two local sites for your data plus one remote site.

A lot depends on your shooting style and your camera. Here many of us shoot with a 47 megapixel camera, we shoot in RAW and we often do 20fps bursts when shooting under difficult conditions to maximize the potential for a good result. Shoot that way and even though you weed things out and discard a lot, you still build up a rather large pile of images.

The recommendation as I recall is to have at a minimum two local sites for storage plus one remote.

In your case 256gb is nowhere big enough for storing photos for most of us these days. You should store your photos on a high speed external drive. I just bought a super high speed 4 tb Crucial drive and I paid under $300 for it.

So even with that I need a second drive to back up my photos locally. This could be accomplished with a second external drive. It does not need to be as fast as your primary photo drive but it should be as big.

Beyond that you can do cloud storage for your remote site.

So, in your setting I would recommend the following:

1. Buy AT LEAST two external hard drives, one of them fast;
2. Get a backup program that automatically backs up your photo drive to the second external drive
3. Consider getting a third external drive for redundant local backup;
3. Subscribe to a cloud storage solution that automatically backs up your photos to the cloud.

Now a word of warning, be careful what you use for cloud storage. I learned this lesson the hard way. I am assuming you have a PC. I was using Microsoft Onedrive for cloud storage. that proved to be a nightmare because Onedrive syncs all the time and when you import photos it suddenly grabs everything and starts dragging copies off site. That slowed down Lightroom and also began overloading my hard drive. Try to get rid of Lightroom and it resists you. You are supposed to be able to limit folders it will copy but it won't let you get rid of the photo folder on your main hard drive. I could go on and on.

Backblaze is a good backup system that works with photography storage.

Now there are more complicated storage solutions that will cost more. You could go for an array of drives (RAID) which can serve various purposes. RAID arrays can be internal drives, external attached directly to your computer or located in a network and connected by ethernet or wifi.

The other big issue is your computer itself. How fast a connection you can get with an external drive depends on your computer's capability. If all you have is USB A or b your speed may be limited. USB C connections are faster and there are also levels of USB C speed. Thunderbolt is even faster and there are levels of those as well.

I am sure I am overly simplifying some of the technical details here and there are a lot of people on this site that know more than I do. I am just someone reporting lessons I have so you don't have to go through what I went through.

I have a lot to say about this so bear with me as I lay it all out. I just went through a lot of changes trying to manage images and I have learned a lot of hard lessons in the past few months. I just got done revising everything so I am laying out some of what I learned. Most of what I learned I gained from others on this site.

you have also to consider backing up your images. Hard drives can fail and if you have it all on one drive you can lose everything. Typically they recommend something like at least two local sites for your data plus one remote site.

A lot depends on your shooting style and your camera. Here many of us shoot with a 47 megapixel camera, we shoot in RAW and we often do 20fps bursts when shooting under difficult conditions to maximize the potential for a good result. Shoot that way and even though you weed things out and discard a lot, you still build up a rather large pile of images.

The recommendation as I recall is to have at a minimum two local sites for storage plus one remote.

In your case 256gb is nowhere big enough for storing photos for most of us these days. You should store your photos on a high speed external drive. I just bought a super high speed 4 tb Crucial drive and I paid under $300 for it.

So even with that I need a second drive to back up my photos locally. This could be accomplished with a second external drive. It does not need to be as fast as your primary photo drive but it should be as big.

Beyond that you can do cloud storage for your remote site.

So, in your setting I would recommend the following:

1. Buy AT LEAST two external hard drives, one of them fast;
2. Get a backup program that automatically backs up your photo drive to the second external drive
3. Consider getting a third external drive for redundant local backup;
3. Subscribe to a cloud storage solution that automatically backs up your photos to the cloud.

Now a word of warning, be careful what you use for cloud storage. I learned this lesson the hard way. I am assuming you have a PC. I was using Microsoft Onedrive for cloud storage. that proved to be a nightmare because Onedrive syncs all the time and when you import photos it suddenly grabs everything and starts dragging copies off site. That slowed down Lightroom and also began overloading my hard drive. Try to get rid of Lightroom and it resists you. You are supposed to be able to limit folders it will copy but it won't let you get rid of the photo folder on your main hard drive. I could go on and on.

Backblaze is a good backup system that works with photography storage.

Now there are more complicated storage solutions that will cost more. You could go for an array of drives (RAID) which can serve various purposes. RAID arrays can be internal drives, external attached directly to your computer or located in a network and connected by ethernet or wifi.

The other big issue is your computer itself. How fast a connection you can get with an external drive depends on your computer's capability. If all you have is USB A or b your speed may be limited. USB C connections are faster and there are also levels of USB C speed. Thunderbolt is even faster and there are levels of those as well.

I am sure I am overly simplifying some of the technical details here and there are a lot of people on this site that know more than I do. I am just someone reporting lessons I have so you don't have to go through what I went through.
I don't think a *second* local backup is really necessary if you have cloud backup. A single local backup destination plus cloud gives you three copies of the data -- original, local backup and cloud. I personally wouldn't bother with a second local. Some people like to make archive copies of a point in time and stash them somewhere.

It sounds like Onedrive was a real pain! I've never used it. Was it via work or your personal use?

My one drive was part of a work setup, it worked more or less fine but we had IT managers. I also had a laptop because I needed to take my show on the road quite a bit.

However, when I started amping up my photography things got out of control pretty fast. I needed to get Onedrive out of my photo storage but that proved very difficult. in addition it turned out my high end laptop could not do some of what I wanted to do, which meant I was facing getting a new workshop tower.

In the end I found what I wanted with a MAC solution. I ended up getting a base level Mac Studio M2 Max and it cost less than I would have spent on a PC tower. Huge improvement over what I had been using.

My one drive was part of a work setup, it worked more or less fine but we had IT managers. I also had a laptop because I needed to take my show on the road quite a bit.

However, when I started amping up my photography things got out of control pretty fast. I needed to get Onedrive out of my photo storage but that proved very difficult. in addition it turned out my high end laptop could not do some of what I wanted to do, which meant I was facing getting a new workshop tower.

In the end I found what I wanted with a MAC solution. I ended up getting a base level Mac Studio M2 Max and it cost less than I would have spent on a PC tower. Huge improvement over what I had been using.
I *suspect* but am not sure that if the Onedrive was work-related, you did not have access to settings that you could tweak were it a personal copy with full control. I'm not sure about that, but some of my googling seemed to imply it. I was curious, because these cloud backup services usually have plenty of knobs to control directories, frequency of updates, etc

Digression, but having personal and work stuff on the same computer can cause issues. I've known people who did that with work laptops, got laid off ... oops just lost access to that laptop ... and their personal stuff.

I think you'll be very pleased with the Mac. I have a studio with M1 and 64 GB of RAM and it is quite snappy.

I am extremely pleased with the mac setup. It is incredibly smooth and quick and it works well with multiple external drives and monitors. Great screens.

It might help to know a little bit more about your computer and the software you are using to process.

If you have been operating on a 256GB drive then you don't have a huge number of images. You might be able to replace you existing 256GB drive with a 1TB or larger drive. It is a fairly easy process to clone and existing drive to a much larger drive. Your OS, applications, and images will all be on the save drive which would provide the best performance. You can use external drives for backups.

I prefer to replace the existing drive with a new one that has greater capacity and have done this with hard drive being replaced by SSD drives and with greater capacity SSD drives replacing the ones in our computers.

The process is not terribly complicated and some of the SSD companies provide the cable and instructions for doing this.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond, I recieved more good information than expected, good team here! After much consideration, I ended up purchasing this external h.d. It may not be top of the line but it got a lot of good reviews and most of all, I could afford it. I will be working on pictures directly from it so an SSD was a must. Fingers crossed it's fast and works well. 🤞
>>> Crucial X9 4TB Portable SSD - Up to 1050MB/s Read. I'll receive it later today and hopefully have it operating by tomorrow. I'll give a review of it after some use with it.

Last edited:
Back