Crested pigeon

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Robert S

Son in law sighted a family of frogmouths the other day. I got motivated and went looking for them. Didn't find them. Took this to check focusing of Sigma 150-600 with 1.4 converter. Technology has changed things a lot in the last sixty years.

Crested pigeon test 1.4 converter resized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks Rick. Body was a Canon R7, supported on a monopod. I set camera to Av, Electronic first curtain, ISO I set to 800 unless something out of the ordinary, and H burst. Other settings might be better but I understand the ones I use..

Very sharp for Sigma+TC! It was also Sigma's TC and not Cannon's?
I like the colour contrast, it is like a professional portrait ;-)
The background was so dark or you post-processed it?
Very interesting photograph.

Very sharp for Sigma+TC! It was also Sigma's TC and not Cannon's?
I like the colour contrast, it is like a professional portrait ;-)
The background was so dark or you post-processed it?
Very interesting photograph.
Thanks Elena. It was a Sigma TC. Background was dark shadow, I didn't do anything to it. Glad you liked the photo.

Bit of info on the lens I used. I bought it off a guy in Canberra three years ago for A$850. He had lost the lens hood so I had to get one. It has never had a filter on it. My take on things is that lenses are made to within certain tolerances. A Canon 600mm prime costs about A$ 20 000. Obviously the Canon prime will be better than a second hand Sigma 150-600 C. However if the Sigma is a good copy the difference in IQ will be better than my eyesight. Also the Sigma is a zoom so I have more versatility. I'm not into worrying about Nikon vs Canon vs Fuji vs Sonny. Reason I use Canon is that 26 years ago it was what was available in the shop in Jakarta and once I had lenses I stayed with Canon. If I want to get a 'pixel peeping' type image I use a Canon 5Ds with a Sigma 120-300. The Sigma is heavy.

Back