Crimson finch and unknown little bird

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Robert S

Any help identifying the little bird appreciated.

finch 06 23-7051-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
- 06 23-7082-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
- 06 23-7089-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
- 06 23-7090-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg

Nice shots.

The first bird is possibly either a Crimson Finch - female - type evangelinae or Crimson Finch - type pheaton. The phaeton is more widespread in North Queensland and Nothern Territory and Northern WA. The evangelinae is only found in one tiny area of Northern Queensland. So, which variety depends on where you saw it.

The last three are either a Golden-headed Cisticola or Zitting Cisticola but hard to differentiate with the photos shown.

Last edited:
Nice shots.

The first bird is possibly either a Crimson Finch - female - type evangelinae or Crimson Finch - type pheaton. The phaeton is more widespread in North Queensland and Nothern Territory and Northern WA. The evangelinae is only found in one tiny area of Northern Queensland. So, which variety depends on where you saw it.

The last three are either a Golden-headed Cisticola or Zitting Cisticola but hard to differentiate with the photos shown.
Thanks Lance. Would appear it is the pheaton, all four photos were taken in Darwin.

Thanks Lance. Would appear it is the pheaton, all four photos were taken in Darwin.
Aha. Yes, then as you say, probably the phaeton.

The Cisticola can still be either the Golden-headed Cisticola or Zitting Cisticola as they are both found in the Northern Territory also.

Thanks again Lance. I'm still sorting through the photos I took in Darwin. Honey eaters are confusing because there are juveniles and adults. Will post them once I have them sorted.

Back