Crossbill

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

All comments welcome, thanks
JD6_2856.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

There’s a fine line between creative compositions and images that just look like a swing and a miss. Hate to say it but this one hits me as the latter.

Reactions: JSD
In wildlife we sometimes get an image that we like for some reason but that same image would not resonate for most other people. One of the "parameters" in wildlife is to get the eye sharp and this shot definitely does not do that nor is any part of the image sharp at all; in addition, the majority of the animal is hidden behind a white blob, so someone's eye will go to the white blob first, which takes up more than half of the image. It is difficult at times with wildlife to get the foreground and background that we want, but that is part of the attraction to photographing wildlife, its difficulty. This image, for me, is a complete miss and something I would have thrown away. If, however, you like it then it is an image that you can keep for your personal viewing. Consider it a learning experience.

I’m clearly in a very small minority here, but I like it. I might crop a little tighter, from the bottom, (maybe an unusual aspect ratio like 16x9) but the mere fact it is different appeals to me.

Reactions: JSD
In wildlife we sometimes get an image that we like for some reason but that same image would not resonate for most other people. One of the "parameters" in wildlife is to get the eye sharp and this shot definitely does not do that nor is any part of the image sharp at all; in addition, the majority of the animal is hidden behind a white blob, so someone's eye will go to the white blob first, which takes up more than half of the image. It is difficult at times with wildlife to get the foreground and background that we want, but that is part of the attraction to photographing wildlife, its difficulty. This image, for me, is a complete miss and something I would have thrown away. If, however, you like it then it is an image that you can keep for your personal viewing. Consider it a learning experience.
I get what you are saying, but actually the eye and head are quite sharp. Its just that the snow in the foreground is softening it, so it appears to not be sharp. Which I guess is the same thing as not being sharp. Also, I do have a personal connection to the photo because I was in the blind with freezing fingers, marveling at how such tiny creatures can stay warm in such harsh conditions. Focusing too was a challenge since the bird was bobbing around behind the wind blown snow. But again, I get that my experience doesn't necessarily come through to the viewer. This was a photo that I knew could be close but no cigar, and I wanted to get the opinions of the group.

Thanks for taking time to give a constructive critique.

Last edited:
Back