CUSTOM PHOTO BACKPACK

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I previously reported that I ordered a custom backpack.
Photos will follow
This is a backpack intended for extended hiking while carrying A significant amount of photo gear. This was NOT designed to fit within airline carry-on limitations. If I fly with camera gear I will use a separate backpack for carry on and this pack will be checked luggage.
The pack works with standard commercially available photo inserts. I used the extra large F Stop insert, the pack has capacity large enough to alow for multiple insert options.
It has a front opening for easy access to the insert. There is also a roll top expansion area that could bee used for additional gear or clothing.
The company that built the pack is a one-man custom pack designer and builder with an excellent reputation in the backpacking and climbing communities.
The pack was custom fit to my frame and the pack is designed to carry loads of 60-70 lbs. For photo purposes it will probably not be asked to carry more than about 3o lbs.
The pack suspension system is designed to keep all weight off of the upper back and shoulders. When worn properly there is no downward pressure on the shoulders, weight is transferred through an internal frame into the waist belt so all weight is carried on the hips.

There are design elements that allow use of cameras and tripod without having to remove the pack. There are two adjustable straps with QD connectors allowing the user to carry two cameras with lenses, one on each side. A picture below shows a z9 with a Z 800mm of on one side and a second Z9 with a 400mm f4.5 on the other. With this setup the wearer can easily raise either camera to shooting height. In addition substantial side pockets can hold smaller lenses.

The pack is also set up to carry a tripodon one side and one camera/lens on the other. A V shaped padded cradle is located in the left waist strap. The tripod is laid into the cradle (horizontal) and the front of the tripod is stabilized by a clip=on strap.

There are also extensive loops and pockets for carrying tripod and monopod strapped to the outside of the pack.

Additional pockets carry accessories as well as water bottles, clothing, food, rain gear, etc.

IMG_0074.jpegIMG_0060.jpegIMG_0059.jpegIMG_0061.jpegIMG_0063.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 15
It cost me a hair over a grand with tax.

The guy who makes this, Dan McHale, has been in the business of building custom packs for many decades. He does all the design and customization himself. I had bought one of his packs for backpacking about 30 years ago and it has been the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. I went to the Far East with it as my main luggage for a five week trip. I carried 50-60 lbs all over the place with no problems.

McHale has a stellar reputation in the backpacking and climbing community. People who spend a lot of time lugging heavy weights around in packs love his stuff.

His web site is haphazardly laid out and is rather quirky but it is all in there.

You deal with him directly he will come up with a prototype pack you can use while yours is being built. Everything is customizable.

Back