D5 Focus Point Question.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So, the D5 is becoming my most enjoyable critter shooting platform. I know the D850 has better DR and cropping potential, and the D500 has it's strengths, but fortunately, I am able to get very close to most critters either through patience and observation or kayaking.
Here's my question...is there a setting that keeps the focus points Illuminated? Mine illuminates them when I activate the AF but otherwise they're not. I don't see anything in settings that addresses it, nor have I found it in Thom's book or the manual. My other bodies show them (albeit in black rather than red), and they're set up the same as far as I can see.
It's entirely possible that I'm just dense and I'm looking right at it, but...here I am 🤷‍♂️.
Thanks folks.

So, the D5 is becoming my most enjoyable critter shooting platform. I know the D850 has better DR and cropping potential, and the D500 has it's strengths, but fortunately, I am able to get very close to most critters either through patience and observation or kayaking.
Here's my question...is there a setting that keeps the focus points Illuminated? Mine illuminates them when I activate the AF but otherwise they're not. I don't see anything in settings that addresses it, nor have I found it in Thom's book or the manual. My other bodies show them (albeit in black rather than red), and they're set up the same as far as I can see.
It's entirely possible that I'm just dense and I'm looking right at it, but...here I am 🤷‍♂️.
Thanks folks.
It's been a while since I owned the D5 but as I recall it's a question of the meter timing out to save a tiny bit of battery life. IOW, I think if you extend the Standby Timer you'll see that the focus points remain visible until the meter eventually times out. The battery life impact is small in a DSLR, especially in the D5 with its relatively high capacity battery.

I'm just curious as to why my other four DSLR bodies (850, 750, 500, 300) don't behave in the same way. Certainly not a big deal but it's got me trying to figure it out.

I'm just curious as to why my other four DSLR bodies (850, 750, 500, 300) don't behave in the same way. Certainly not a big deal but it's got me trying to figure it out.
I recall the colors were different for my other DSLRs but I'm pretty sure the focus boxes go away on all of them after the meter times out. Could be wrong about that but I don't think my D500, D850 or older Nikon DSLRs had visible focus area boxes after the meter timed out. Any chance the meter timeout was set much longer in your other DSLRs?

Back