D500 and CFE card?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Probably a stupid question...just took advantage of the B&H deal for a 325gb CFE card (figuring I'd get a D850 or Z8 in the future). Put it into my D500 and formatted it...works just fine. However, in the top LCD where it says remaining shots available, it shows 6.4k -- the same as I see for the 128gb XQD card I have been using. Shouldn't it say 16k or so? I saw Nikon has approved cards going to 512gb, so I am assuming that it formats the whole card and is not restricted to 128gb. Do I need to format outside the camera?

Thanks.

The remaining shots display is a very un-optomistic approximation anyway. I always get way more shots than indicated if I fill the card. I wonder if this is a limitation of the firmware, something overlooked when it was last updated by Nikon.

Probably a stupid question...just took advantage of the B&H deal for a 325gb CFE card (figuring I'd get a D850 or Z8 in the future). Put it into my D500 and formatted it...works just fine. However, in the top LCD where it says remaining shots available, it shows 6.4k -- the same as I see for the 128gb XQD card I have been using. Shouldn't it say 16k or so? I saw Nikon has approved cards going to 512gb, so I am assuming that it formats the whole card and is not restricted to 128gb. Do I need to format outside the camera?

Thanks.
If you are using two cards and one card is used for backup it will calculate the number of shots left based on the card that is nearly filled not the new one.

hmm...I have always thought (per Nikon) that it shows the info for the primary card in slot 1, and you have to remove that to see slot 2. Not so?

Ahh...just realized...I don't use the secondary card for "backup"...just overflow and video, so not sure that would apply.

Back