D850 + MB-D18 + EN-EL18c battery doesn't provide 9 fps anymore

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, been using this combo for a while now, all genuine and original Nikon equipment sold from a Nikon distributor.
I stopped getting 9 FPS all of a sudden. Release mode is set to Ch.
The battery info only shows AA batteries, although the EN-EL18c registers and the camera is using it for power, shows 100% charge in the battery info (also shows that it is brand new and no need for calibration). Thought it might have been an issue with the BL-5 but the battery is supplying power to the camera so not sure what is the issue.

Would appreciate any idea on the matter.

Thanks!

So, if I understand it right, you have the EN EL18c inside, but the camera tells you it's AA batteries?
In that case it might be an issue with the battery's integrated microchip.
You may try with another EN-EL18c.
Here's another idea: In the settings menu (the one with the wrench symbol), you can choose FR6 (lithium battery) as battery type for the MB-D18. (In fact, the EN-EL18 is a lithium battery). Maybe then you will get 9 FPS.

Last edited:
So, if I understand it right, you have the EN EL18c inside, but the camera tells you it's AA batteries?
In that case it might be an issue with the battery's integrated microchip.
You may try with another EN-EL18c.
Here's another idea: In the settings menu (the one with the wrench symbol), you can choose FR6 (lithium battery) as battery type for the MB-D18. (In fact, the EN-EL18 is a lithium battery). Maybe then you will get 9 FPS.
Hi, the FR6 -lithium simply doesn't show in the menu. Only AA batteries. will check regarding the microchip, thanks!

1668952210867.png

Only see those options and not the EN-EL18c one.
That makes sense, because these options are for AA batteries only, when you don't use the EN-EL18 one.
The camera normally should detect when there is a EN-EL18 inside.
Looks like your camera doesn't do that (likely because there is a failure in the battery chip.

Try to set it to FR6 (lithium).
Lithium batteries have a slightly higher voltage. Maybe the camera refuses to shoot at 9fps when it thinks there is an alkaline battery inside.

However, that would be only a workaround. But it would support the theory that your EN... battery is somehow flawed.

My therory is: The camera doesn't recognize the ENEL18 as ENEL18 (due to whatever), so it thinks there must be some AA Batteries inside.
When set to Alkaline or NiMH, the camera might refuse to shoot 9fps because the voltage would not be high enough. When set to lithium, you tell the camera that there is a high-voltage battery inside (in fact, there is).

Last edited:
Do you also have the EN-EL15 battery loaded in the camera itself? If you do remove it, remount grip and try again. I know when I had mine I could only get it to shoot 9fps if the internal battery was removed, even if I told camera to use the grip first.

I had mine set the same way and the only way I could get it to work was to take the ENEL15 out. Fingers crossed that it works for you as well.
I currently have a D850 with Nikon grip and ENEL 18c battery. I keep the ENEL 15 battery in the camera and I get 9 fps with the grip selected to be used first. When the 18c battery is depleted and the camera shifts to the internal 15 battery, I then only get 7 fps.

I currently have a D850 with Nikon grip and ENEL 18c battery. I keep the ENEL 15 battery in the camera and I get 9 fps with the grip selected to be used first. When the 18c battery is depleted and the camera shifts to the internal 15 battery, I then only get 7 fps.
Yes that is the way it is supposed to work. I was never able to get that to work so I was wondering if kvothe was having the same issue I did.

Hi, been using this combo for a while now, all genuine and original Nikon equipment sold from a Nikon distributor.
The battery info only shows AA batteries, although the EN-EL18c registers and the camera is using it for power, shows 100% charge in the battery info (also shows that it is brand new and no need for calibration). Thought it might have been an issue with the BL-5 but the battery is supplying power to the camera so not sure what is the issue.

Thanks!
It happened to me in the past that the d850 no longer gives me the 9fps. I discovered that it was the BL-5 Battery Chamber that was defective, it could be that this may be your problem.

Thanks!
I would try another EN-EL18 battery...🦘

Back