D850 or D5 as my backup?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ken Thomas

Supporting Member
Hi All,

Yesterday, I took the plunge and picked up a Nikon Z9, and am figuring the camera out (working my way through Steve's setup video and pdf guide). I will probably sell my Nikon D850 and/or D5 bodies to help cover the cost. I've heard that many who go mirrorless quickly stop using their DSLR's all together. My question is about which of these bodies I should keep as a backup/second camera body, as I cannot afford another Z9 or Z8? I'm leaning toward the D5 for low light situations. I realize that the market value of DSLR's has plummeted so there's is that to consider as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Ken Thomas

I think it depends upon your priorities. Prior to getting the Z9, which of the 2 DSLRs did you consider your primary body? The high res do everything D850, or the low light with higher frame rate D5? Do you primarily shoot wildlife or landscape? Each of these are great cameras with their own attributes. I currently use a D850 as my backup. I may eventually get a Z8, but it’s not a priority for me.

My main body was the D850, and about one year ago I traded in my D750 and picked up that D5, used, for low light situations, which I use infrequently. My go to was/is the D850, but it seems that it's completely redundant with the Z9. Hence my dilemma.

My go to was/is the D850, but it seems that it's completely redundant with the Z9. Hence my dilemma.
FWIW, I consider redundancy the whole point of a backup camera.

If it's really an alternative camera you're after with different strengths then sure, the D5 is a fantastic low light camera but if you're really looking for a backup to your Z9 in the case of a Z9 failure or to carry with a second lens for quickly switching between two different focal length lenses but with similar pixel resolution then I'd go with the D850 as a backup or second similar body.

So are you looking for a backup, or a secondary body? If the goal is to have a camera body available if your Z9 decides to stop playing, then the D850 may be the better choice. But if you’re looking for something as an alternative that has attributes your primary doesn’t, then maybe the D5. But for a backup??? The D850 in my opinion.

Thanks Doug. I guess that's what I have to decide. I'll probably shoot with the Z9 for a month or so and see how it's going, afterward it should be more clear to me.

As others have said above it may be a different answer if you're asking about shooting a second body or keeping one in case something happens to the Z9. It's not a different answer for me. I'll give up the frame rate in favor of the pixels every time. But I'm one of the guys that's in the camp of down sampling working just as well as a high ISO sensor. If you're up in the air with the answer keep in mind that the D5 will likely bring more on the used market to help offset the Z9 purchase.

Also consider that as soon as you start getting Z mount lenses you no longer have an true backup. Particularly if you sell f mount lenses to purchase the Z mount replacements. Not an issue if you have redundant lenses.

The problem is if you go Z mount lenses. Nothing functions as back up then other than an other Z mount. I’m in the same dilemma and for now I’m just going no back up once my F mount gear sells. If I’m in a situation where it’s critical, I’ll rent a Z6II or whatever is decent value.

I’ll probably buy a ZxIII for a back up though.

I have owned both the D5 and the D850. I sold both in order to purchase my current Z9. I continue to struggle to achieve the great results that I previously got with both of those DSLR camera bodies. At the risk of sounding goofy there are still days that I regret ever making the move over to the Z9.
I don't think you can go wrong having either as a "backup" to your primary in the event something happens to knock your Z9 out of use. If however you are looking to compliment your current Z9 with a 2nd body that you will use in conjunction with the Z9 my choice would likely be the D850 because of the smaller base size as compared to the D5 and Z9 bodies.
I currently am living with only a single body, as like many others, have found that my backup was gathering too much dust by never getting any use.

I never owned the 850 but I'm aware of its legendary status.

I've owned 3 Dx bodies and prior to that Fx. My work film camera is still the F5. The Ds were sold. In addition to image quality and features, they are indestructible and wholly dependable.

I now have two Z9s. Not just as a backup, but for my outdoor shoots in the tropics I don't change lenses in the field, so one would have a 70-200 and the other 14-24. If I needed a D body it'd be the D5 or 6.

My question is about which of these bodies I should keep as a backup/second camera body
Not so long ago a "backup" body was thought of as one you would use in case of a failure of your primary in the field. It mostly gathered dust in your bag and saw little use. Usually it was a less expensive body than the primary. A second camera body however was referred to one that was used along with the primary in the field. It usually had a diferent lens attached. This eliminated having to switch lenses in a dusty environment and allowed one to faster use another lens. An example would be a 500/600 attached to the primary and a 70-200 to the second body. This works great if both bodies are the same. Nikon has a habit of switching button locations on each body which raises havoc with muscle memory using different bodies at the same time. last year I took my Z9 and D850 to an Air Show and rapidy switching bodies I found myself looking in the viewfinder of the D850 to preview the shot and then I realized that the D850 doesn't have this feature like the Z9. Other muscle memory examples cropped up on the D850 because I was dialed into the Z9 settings and functions. It was then and there I made the decision to get another Z9 and sell the D850. Now I can set up both cameras to be the same using the save/load feature. My advise Ken is if you do not use your other body as a second body then keep either the D5 or D850 as a back up. If however you want to use the other body as a second so you do not have to swich out lenses, then sell your DSLR bodies and if you can't get another Z9 then get a Z8. As a side note the Z9 is a very complex camera which can be configured in it seems an infinite numer of ways. Because of this it has a steep leaning curve. Don't get discouraged. Review each function and control setting each day so it becomes second nature, othwise you will foget in little time. Keep trying to use it and learn every day.

I have a (nearly) 6 year old D850 as a backup, and little to add to the compliments for the all round excellence of the D850.
I keep mine on standby together with a D6 (traded in D5 for the latter). They are complementary DSLRs. The D5 is a workhorse, however the D6 is even better

Hi All,

Yesterday, I took the plunge and picked up a Nikon Z9, and am figuring the camera out (working my way through Steve's setup video and pdf guide). I will probably sell my Nikon D850 and/or D5 bodies to help cover the cost. I've heard that many who go mirrorless quickly stop using their DSLR's all together. My question is about which of these bodies I should keep as a backup/second camera body, as I cannot afford another Z9 or Z8? I'm leaning toward the D5 for low light situations. I realize that the market value of DSLR's has plummeted so there's is that to consider as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Ken Thomas
When the D850 was released it very quickly got the reputation as being the best DSLR ever made which carries a bit of weight.

Not so long ago a "backup" body was thought of as one you would use in case of a failure of your primary in the field. It mostly gathered dust in your bag and saw little use. Usually it was a less expensive body than the primary. A second camera body however was referred to one that was used along with the primary in the field. It usually had a diferent lens attached. This eliminated having to switch lenses in a dusty environment and allowed one to faster use another lens. An example would be a 500/600 attached to the primary and a 70-200 to the second body. This works great if both bodies are the same. Nikon has a habit of switching button locations on each body which raises havoc with muscle memory using different bodies at the same time. last year I took my Z9 and D850 to an Air Show and rapidy switching bodies I found myself looking in the viewfinder of the D850 to preview the shot and then I realized that the D850 doesn't have this feature like the Z9. Other muscle memory examples cropped up on the D850 because I was dialed into the Z9 settings and functions. It was then and there I made the decision to get another Z9 and sell the D850. Now I can set up both cameras to be the same using the save/load feature. My advise Ken is if you do not use your other body as a second body then keep either the D5 or D850 as a back up. If however you want to use the other body as a second so you do not have to swich out lenses, then sell your DSLR bodies and if you can't get another Z9 then get a Z8. As a side note the Z9 is a very complex camera which can be configured in it seems an infinite numer of ways. Because of this it has a steep leaning curve. Don't get discouraged. Review each function and control setting each day so it becomes second nature, othwise you will foget in little time. Keep trying to use it and learn every day.
Thanks Michael, this seems like very good advice all the way around.

To MJR’s point, the first question to answer is whether it’s going to be a true backup or a secondary body to use in conjunction with your new mirrorless. As a hobbyist, I decided to get rid of my back up in favor of having that money to do other things with. It just collected dust. My thought process is that when I shell out cash for a nice photo trip, I will rent a second identical body to my primary. Solves the muscle memory issue, and even the high end bodies, you can rent for a fairly reasonable price. All that said, I do still miss the low light capability of the D5 I had. When I was able to even fill just a third of the frame, 12,800 ISO files were insanely clean.

I have a Z9 too and two Z mount lenses: 24-120mm S and the 100-400mm S. I also have and plan to keep two Nikon DSLRs--D850 and D 500--as backup cameras and as another camera to use as I still have a lot of Nikon F mount lenses, from 20mm through 500mm. Your decision will depend on what glass you now own, what new or used glass you plan to buy and what you shoot.

Sell both of the DSLR's, then buy a Z8 for backup
This is something that I am certainly considering. But, I have too many F lenses to be ready for that. Perhaps when I slowly replace them, this is the road that I will take. I'm leaning toward keeping the D850 for now, but keep waffling back and forth. Aye, carumba!

I have a Z9 too and two Z mount lenses: 24-120mm S and the 100-400mm S. I also have and plan to keep two Nikon DSLRs--D850 and D 500--as backup cameras and as another camera to use as I still have a lot of Nikon F mount lenses, from 20mm through 500mm. Your decision will depend on what glass you now own, what new or used glass you plan to buy and what you shoot.
Thanks Joe, I'm mainly wildlife/nature shooter and have F glass all the way from 14-24, all the way up to a pf500 and 1.4 tc-iii, so I have the range covered. I haven't decided which lenses i'll be replacing but am quite sure that I'll be keeping the 300 and 500 pf's. This week, I'll be taking a trip to my local camera shop to see what sort of trades for Z lenses I might be able to make. I'm in no rush, and before things get too crazy I need to get out there with the Z9 to see what it can do. I'm still going through the AF tutorials and don't quite understand which to use, and when, but Steve's books and videos are really helping.

Back