D850 square mode shooting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you. I asked as a neophyte FX user after listening to a podcast with photographer Jonathan Critchley who said he shoots a D850 in square mode at all times vs cropping and was intrigued by the idea.

A few things to consider......

Cropping in post gives you the opportunity to position the subject for the strongest composition. Many photographers tend to center the subject in the frame when shooting. But if the subject is looking sideways, it is better to leave more room on the side to which it is looking. Images with horizons are much stronger if the horizon is either very high in the frame - or very low in the frame.

Cropping in post may give you the option to crop OUT distracting elements in the image.

AND 1x1 square crop is often not the best crop for an image. By cropping in camera you cannot later decide to do a pano 16x9 crop for expansive landscapes, a 4x3 crop for a large 24x16 print, etc.

If the horizonal is not level, you lose even more of the image when you straighten the horizon.

I do not think shooting square is a good idea. What did he say would be the advantage to doing that?

Or did he mean using a grid overlay in a square format as a visual aid, but not throwing away the pixels outside the box?

Last edited:
He shoots square "99% of the time, which is brilliant". And added he likes the Nikon because he looks thru a square in the viewfinder when shooting unlike Canon that just shows lines.

That is what had me wondering how many MPs he ended up with since he did mention some of his photos are enlarged to 5'x5'.

Looks like nice work. Still, if you want to end up square you get some leeway for the crop shooting the full frame, same image quality cropping a full frame image to square in post as cropping in camera, plus in post you csn shift left or right a bit to get it just right.

Last edited:
Back