If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here in California, out of hunting season, danger for most birds comes primarily from above. Hawks and falcons pose the most danger for adult birds. When I process many of my images I see the birds looking up; I assume they are on the look out for danger coming at them from above. This Green-winged Teal definitely fit this picture. Shortly after this image was taken a Red-winged Hawk floated over the pond. A RWH is not much of a danger to an adult teal, but none the less, all the ducks exploded into flight; the hawk floated away and back the ducks came.
Taken with a R7, hand held with the lens just above the water; processed in PS with healthy crop. BG brought down slightly and shadows on bird brought up slightly.
Green-winged Teal San Joaquin WR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Here in California, out of hunting season, danger for most birds comes primarily from above. Hawks and falcons pose the most danger for adult birds. When I process many of my images I see the birds looking up; I assume they are on the look out for danger coming at them from above. This Green-winged Teal definitely fit this picture. Shortly after this image was taken a Red-winged Hawk floated over the pond. A RWH is not much of a danger to an adult teal, but none the less, all the ducks exploded into flight; the hawk floated away and back the ducks came.
Taken with a R7, hand held with the lens just above the water; processed in PS with healthy crop. BG brought down slightly and shadows on bird brought up slightly.View attachment 69283
Beautiful shotđź‘Ť I experience the same situation all the time. In the fall there are many ducks hanging out in the reservoir where I shoot. All of a sudden, they all bolt at once. You look up and there is a bald eagle making an approach.

Really an excellent image. Nice job.

Early in the season I shoot a bit at a local marsh with a perennial eagle's nest at the edge of the woods. The eagles raise their chicks every year on waterfowl and their offspring. When shooting them I often notice just what you describe. They are constantly glancing skyward.

Beautiful shotđź‘Ť I experience the same situation all the time. In the fall there are many ducks hanging out in the reservoir where I shoot. All of a sudden, they all bolt at once. You look up and there is a bald eagle making an approach.
Yes, when you see that behavior there is no doubt what is happening.

Very nice shot. Yep, even if they can't identify what it is above them, it's bolt or possibly be dinner.
Thanks for looking and commenting. It is interesting because I do see the ducks (and other birds) bolt when a shadow of a raptor comes over, but I also see the ducks ignore shadows of other ducks, so they obviously know the difference.

Really an excellent image. Nice job.

Early in the season I shoot a bit at a local marsh with a perennial eagle's nest at the edge of the woods. The eagles raise their chicks every year on waterfowl and their offspring. When shooting them I often notice just what you describe. They are constantly glancing skyward.
I also see this behavior in other ground birds, like Burrowing Owls. Birds that perch in trees-not so much.

Thanks for looking and commenting. It is interesting because I do see the ducks (and other birds) bolt when a shadow of a raptor comes over, but I also see the ducks ignore shadows of other ducks, so they obviously know the difference.
Ah, yes, that's true, I've seen that also. Maybe they hear them at a distance. Like how I used to hear my X nagging at a distance, knew it was her ... and I would just ignore her. :sneaky: