DAS RAID storage recommendations...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,
My photo library is growing beyond my local storage capacity. I'm tired of juggling multiple external SDD drives and am looking at Thunderbolt 3/4 Direct Attach Storage (DAS) solutions that offer RAID capability. The OWC device that Steve recommended in 2019 in his Lightroom video series looks good, but I'm wondering what storage solutions others are using and if OWC is still a solid choice. I greatly appreciate any thoughts you can provide.
Thank you!

I thought that the Synology line were NAS, not DAS.

To the OP - why are you looking at RAID as a solution to storage limits?
Yes, you are correct. I still believe this is the best solution for me (and something for the OP to consider). At some point I may install a 10gb Ethernet card and I think the speed would be sufficient to work on images or video stored on the DS1821+.

Hello,
My photo library is growing beyond my local storage capacity. I'm tired of juggling multiple external SDD drives and am looking at Thunderbolt 3/4 Direct Attach Storage (DAS) solutions that offer RAID capability. The OWC device that Steve recommended in 2019 in his Lightroom video series looks good, but I'm wondering what storage solutions others are using and if OWC is still a solid choice. I greatly appreciate any thoughts you can provide.
Thank you!
I use OWC enclosures. They offer some really good options. I purchase their enclosures but select my own drives from their website. Usually Toshiba drives.

Yes, you are correct. I still believe this is the best solution for me (and something for the OP to consider). At some point I may install a 10gb Ethernet card and I think the speed would be sufficient to work on images or video stored on the DS1821+.
I have that on a 1523 and you can work on images. I haven’t tried video. I still prefer for PS to use an attached Mvne in a Hyper enclosure. Then transfer to the NAS. LRC is fine directly. And if the image is from LRC I let it work off the NAS.

I used a Mercury Pro Duo from OWC for years but just took delivery of a Thunderbay 4. In the Mercury, I used RAID 0 and two 4 tb Toshiba HDDs. But in the Thunderbay, I’m going to use RAID 5. I am going to continue using my Toshibas, but I also picked up a 12 tb WD enterprise drive. I’ll use the 4th bay in the Thunderbay for an SSD initially.

On the Mercury, it was great except for two things: it was a little noisy, and it often dosconnected itself from my 2018 Mac Mini when the computer idled. The frequent disconnections eventually drove me nuts. But the good thing about the Mercury is that I could edit on it in realtime with basically no lag. So, even using HDDs, it was extremely fast. Some of that was attributable RAID 0, but I hope the Thunderbay will be about as fast. I’ll figure that out today!

Back