Davinci Resolve LUT for Nikon D850

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Folks,

I have searched the Internet to no avail looking for a LUT to convert the 'Flat' or 'Cineflat' profile to REC709. Does anyone have a link (or a LUT) that they can share?

Many thanks,

You don't need to "look for" a rec 709 colour space output. It already is in Davinci Resolve, the free version.
I'm using the + sign to differentiate between steps
Go to the fusion page + click on library + Under Resolve FX colour find "color space transform + click & drag to add a "colour space" node + wiith this node selected, choose Rec709 from the drop down list in the box marked "output colour space"

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. Davinci does not recognize the 'Flat' or 'Cineflat' profiles so I need a LUT to convert the footage to a usable state. I hope that makes sense?

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. Davinci does not recognize the 'Flat' or 'Cineflat' profiles so I need a LUT to convert the footage to a usable state. I hope that makes sense?
Actually it doesn't. The D850 outputs H264 4K. So, technically you don't "need" a rec709 conversion like a RAW or Nlog file would. Once you load the media on your timeline you should be able to edit colour and/or exposure in the fusion page (without creating additional nodes if that is still unfamiliar to you)
Try adjusting the "primaries colour wheels" and the "curves" to check if they respond. They should. That will alow you to proceed with your edit
If they don't, try the steps I gave you earlier to convert to Rec709 and repeat the above.

Reactions: BWP
Hi Folks,

I have searched the Internet to no avail looking for a LUT to convert the 'Flat' or 'Cineflat' profile to REC709. Does anyone have a link (or a LUT) that they can share?

Many thanks,
Are you mixing in clips from a D850 with clips from another camera or only D850 clips? If only D850 clips, as Krish mentions, they are already in H.264 and Rec.709, so no conversion necessary. Where are you coming up with Flat and CineFlat profiles? Do you have other footage that's in that format...the D850 does not output in any format other than mentioned above.

If only using D850 clips, you can use a simpler method and not have to deal with Color Space Transforms (CST's)...Resolve can handle it automatically on the input and output. Just go to your Project Settings under the File Menu and in the Color Management section set the top section (Color Space and Transforms) as shown in the attached photo...DaVinci YRGB Color Managed, HDR DaVinci Wide Gamut Intermediate (DWGI) and Rec.709 Gamma 2.2. It would also be acceptable to set the "Color Processing Mode" to SDR Rec.709 Gamma 2.2), but there are advantages to getting in the habit of working in a much wider color space for doing your color grading and then converting back to Rec.709 for display and rendering (Resolve handles this automatically via the setting in "Output color space". The one "Gotcha" with this method is that if you DO want to apply any sort of LUT, you need to be absolutely certain of what sort of color space and gamma the LUT is expecting as an input. If it's expecting Rec.709 and you feed it DWGI your results will be all wrong.

For an outstanding overview of what I've described above, have a look at this 23 minute clip...it's one of the best I've run across in the last few years.

Once set up as per below, all you need to do is add your D850 clips to the timeline and Resolve will handle the image transforms automatically and your image should be pretty close to good...assuming you got your original exposure in the ballpark. From here, you can tweak as you want in the color page and then render.

D850 Color Page Settings.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Cheers!

Thanks Tom, but the D850 that I own does output both flat and cineflat under the "Set Picture Control" menu. I shot an interview with the Cineflat setting on the D850 and S-Log 2 on my Sony FS5. The sony footage looks great but I can't seem to fix the Nikon footage. I may have to resort to a one camera interview, but I had hoped there would be a LUT to convert the Cineflat profile to Rec 709. There is nothing in Davinci that handles this conversion (trust me, I have tried).

PS - Tried the DR YRGB Color managed settings you show in the screen shot and that doesn't work. Davinci is not recognizing the Nikon Cineflat profile it seems.

Thanks Tom, but the D850 that I own does output both flat and cineflat under the "Set Picture Control" menu. I shot an interview with the Cineflat setting on the D850 and S-Log 2 on my Sony FS5. The sony footage looks great but I can't seem to fix the Nikon footage. I may have to resort to a one camera interview, but I had hoped there would be a LUT to convert the Cineflat profile to Rec 709. There is nothing in Davinci that handles this conversion (trust me, I have tried).

PS - Tried the DR YRGB Color managed settings you show in the screen shot and that doesn't work. Davinci is not recognizing the Nikon Cineflat profile it seems.
Ah, I see where you're coming from now, referring to the picture profiles which aren't really Log profiles or different color spaces or gamma...they're all Rec.709 Gamma 2.2 with different settings baked into the file. This is really where a specifically created LUT would be helpful, but given the limitations baked into an 8-bit file, not sure the range is there to do much.

I suspected that might be the case when I saw the FS5 listed in your signature. I sold my D850 and D500 a couple years ago when I got a Z9, so can't do any tests, though I do have quite a bit of footage shot with both. Never used the flat or cineflat profiles at the time

Just a thought, I assume you've tried other picture profiles on the D850 to see if they're closer to the finished look out of your FS5? Given that the output of the D850 is 8-bit, as mentioned above, you have little room to work in grading, especially when starting with flat profiles. Since your FS5 with a log profile is likely in 10-bit...might be easier to shoot the D850 in a Standard profile (or whichever one gives you an "out of camera" look that is acceptable) and match the FS5 to it...you may have more grading latitude there. Or just go with a single camera shoot, as you say.

Thanks Tom.... I may not have explained it properly the first time, but it sounds like you got the gist of it now. I just bought the Z8 and it looks far more capable as a video camera, but I have yet to give it a try (too busy with other things). One thing is certain though, I won't be using my D850 as a video camera in the future. My clients have indicated that they are willing to sit for a second shooting of the interview, so that's also an option for me. Anyhow, thanks Tom (and Krish) for your input.

Thanks Tom.... I may not have explained it properly the first time, but it sounds like you got the gist of it now. I just bought the Z8 and it looks far more capable as a video camera, but I have yet to give it a try (too busy with other things). One thing is certain though, I won't be using my D850 as a video camera in the future. My clients have indicated that they are willing to sit for a second shooting of the interview, so that's also an option for me. Anyhow, thanks Tom (and Krish) for your input.
Matching clips from different cameras/sensors, even if they are both brought up to Rec 709, is very difficult. Especially skin tones, to which the human eye is very sensitive. When I do A/B-roll work, I use matching cameras. I also have good luck with a Z9/Zf pairing, nearly identical Nlog files.

As mentioned by @MotoPixel , you'll love the Z8 video capabilities, just be cognizant of potential overheating for very long takes in some Codex with some cards. Other threads here discuss remediation.

Agreed, identical cameras would be a bonus. I bought a video color chart which should make matching skin tones easier. There are loads of videos on this process and my hope is to make this a little easier on myself. Video certainly has brought some new challenges. However, I do a lot of grizzly photography and I'm hoping to get some video clips this year (September). Thanks for the reply Nimi.

Back