Dealing With "Flashy" Looking Natural Light

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SCoombs

Sometimes I find that photos taken in completely natural conditions have a "flashy" look which have lighting that reminds me a bit of snapshots taken with the built in flash on a point and shoot camera. Here is one example from yesterday. It was never going to be an amazing shot (I was out testing a lens) but I think it's made worse by that odd lighting characteristic which I notice from time to time in photos.

20240725-DSC_9073-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This is entirely unedited other than to straighten it out. I'm going to post a couple of edits here, but this is NOT a post-processing discussion: these are here to help get at the main question.

First, the original photo was underexposed. I did this on purpose with -0.7 compensation to save the highlights on the face. This was in full manual with auto ISO, so the only real change was dropping to ISO 640 from the ISO that was really required of 1000 or something. Here is what it looks like with the exposure increased (with the highlights dropped some to preserve that face):
20240725-DSC_9073-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

As you can see, this looks good on some parts while other parts - mainly the heron - look overexposed.

The closest I can get to correct is to boost exposure of the overall photo and then mask the heron and reduce it by a fair bit:

20240725-DSC_9073-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I'm not sure it's perfect, but it's better than the other two and looks a lot more natural.

My question for discussion, then, has to do with this phenomenon. What exactly is it about this scene or lighting that lead to the flashy look in the first place and how can I recognize this kind of thing in the field? Is it just a question of an animal with a lot of reflective tones put against a background that is a little darker, or is there more to it than that? For what it's worth, I wouldn't have considered these branches "darker" in the field, as looking with the naked eye they were, as in my final version of the photo here, quite well lit, and other than the white patch on the face I wouldn't have considered the heron to be especially bright or reflective, either.

Once I have recognized this sort of thing, what is the best way to handle it? It is to do as I have done here where the exposure has been reduced to save the highlights and then masking has balanced things out in processing, or is there something better to do?

What time of day was this and what were the lighting conditions, ie sun, strong overcast, etc. it looks like it was shot closer to mid day or early pm with stronger side light (R to L) and reflection from the water.

What time of day was this and what were the lighting conditions, ie sun, strong overcast, etc. it looks like it was shot closer to mid day or early pm with stronger side light (R to L) and reflection from the water.
Let's be clear that this particular photo was an example of something I see now and then, not the exclusive subject of the discussion.

That having been said, this photo was taken around 4:45 PM on a day that had had bright sun. This means the sun was bright, but it was not directly overhead at this point and was hitting a time when given some of the right angles the light was quite nice. For instance, this rather pleasantly lit shot was taken around 15 minutes before the heron.
20240725-DSC_9133-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg

And also possible reflections off of leaves that have a wax-like or shine to them in harsh sunlight? Just a thought in addition to the bright sunlight Issue.

Late Edit: As an experiment, try masking the vegetation and reduce the luminosity to make the heron stand out more? That’s assuming your software would accommodate doing that. I do understand that you were just experimenting. But it seems like the lack of separation from any background and the the difference between the contrast of the vegetation and the heron is working against you.

Last edited:
And also possible reflections off of leaves that have a wax-like or shine to them in harsh sunlight? Just a thought in addition to the bright sunlight Issue.

Late Edit: As an experiment, try masking the vegetation and reduce the luminosity to make the heron stand out more? That’s assuming your software would accommodate doing that. I do understand that you were just experimenting. But it seems like the lack of separation from any background and the the difference between the contrast of the vegetation and the heron is working against you.

Yes, that would work as well. I had originally done what you suggest and it works about as well. I wound up doing it as I described when I went to create the thread because I wanted to export the original image and so I reset it and then for whatever reason did it this other way when I went to re-edit it.

Back