Delkin Black Thermal Temperatures

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I know that the Delkin Power 128GB is an overperformer, and runs very cool for thermal temperatures (around 45c).

I also know that the Delkin Black 512GB runs even cooler (around 39c).

Does anyone have any information on whether the other Delkin Black cards at other sizes run around the same thermal temperatures?

Last edited:
I hae a pair of 325 gig black. In my PC they are cool-slight warm, on my laptop either get very hot. I use two identical Delkin readers. I switched them around, same. I've never actually measured the temp.

I too am using Delkin Black memory and wonder about the heat this type of memory achieves in a card reader.
Does anyone know the physics behind this phenomena?
I am guessing the card must be constantly addressed for some reason and this seems odd for static memory.
-Jay-

I hae a pair of 325 gig black. In my PC they are cool-slight warm, on my laptop either get very hot. I use two identical Delkin readers. I switched them around, same. I've never actually measured the temp.

I'm sure you guys have seen this before, but this is an example of what I'm looking for.
I am considering the 325 GBs, and that's my concern: that their temperature is not the same as these two models below.

Delkin-Black-CFExpress-B-512GB-Card-Sustained-Low-Temperature[1].jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hello and Welcome to BCG
As you posted the chart above, you must have seen the detailed comparisons of key variables by the SSDreview site. Best that I've found, and they compare several brands - I use Lexar and Delkin
Yes they get warm in the reader downloading, but nothing serious IMHO

I too am using Delkin Black memory and wonder about the heat this type of memory achieves in a card reader.
Does anyone know the physics behind this phenomena?
I am guessing the card must be constantly addressed for some reason and this seems odd for static memory.
-Jay-
Welcome to BCG! Glad you joined us!

Thank you for the warm but undeserved welcome! I lost my old credentials and created a new persona.
I called Delkin Customer Service and questioned them to no avail. I'd find it interesting to know what is going on with this memory model but it is hard to find info of that sort on the web these days.
I am using a Pro Grade brand USB reader and with no card inserted it draws 110ma, and with a 128gb Delkin Black inserted but no read/write operations it consumes 330ma.
No wonder it gets warm.

Karen, that Wonderpana kit is working nicely on my 19mm, thanks.
-Jay-

Hello and Welcome to BCG
As you posted the chart above, you must have seen the detailed comparisons of key variables by the SSDreview site. Best that I've found, and they compare several brands - I use Lexar and Delkin
Yes they get warm in the reader downloading, but nothing serious IMHO

And yet no one in this thread has any actual input on thermal temperatures on other sizes of the Delkin CF Express B cards.

The Delkin Black 512GB and now 650GB are my preferred cards for the Z9 -- I also use Prograde Cobalt 650GB -- I have had NO ISSUES using the Z9 for stills or 8k vid with either cards shooting at max fps for long bursts or long duration vids that fill these cards.

The "newer" 650GB has replaced the 512GB -- SEE

I do not want to touch Angel Bird, SanDisk or Lexar cards.

Last edited:
And yet no one in this thread has any actual input on thermal temperatures on other sizes of the Delkin CF Express B cards.
As you've read the SSDreviews pages, you will note they have a standardized PC testbed and measure temperature and sustained performance with a stress test: a 85GB 8K file transfer. So this is presumably when the card is writing at high speed with higher currents ie power throughput.
It'll be a pleasant surprise if there is any other reliable quantitative data using a similar stress test. Although someone might have a thermocouple handy to check a downloading card.
My strategy with CFExpress has followed the advice by Ricci Chera in his Ricci Talks video. More cards have been released since and the technology is improving, according at least to SSDreview based on the cards they've tested.
My reading is one is safe with the latest Delkin cards (in case most credible retailers have a return policy). Moreover I haven't found overheating problems with any of the Lexar or Delkin cards. At least with the Z9, Nikon invested heavily in designing its heatsink.

Back