Denoise comparison

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Last night I was shooting Full Moon Jam at the Chicago Lakefront. Here is an image from last in the evening when the performers are taking their final bows. ISO 25,600.

Four image - first full size then cropped to show 100%. I realise that this is not nature but was a good test ..

Original
LR denoise (applied to the original)
Photo AI (applied to the original), default denoise, default sharpening, face processing applied.
DxO DeepPrime (applied to the original)

Then about images, cropped (usin Synch in LR). not resized. Yes, this is a really difficult challenge for any software fix. NO other adjustments were applied - i.e., I did not attempt to balance exposure and contrast

Original

Original.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

LR denoise

LR Noise.jpg

Photo AI

PHoto AI.jpg

DxO Deep Prime

Deep Prime.jpg

Original Cropped

Original Crop.jpg

LR Denoise Cropped

LR Noise Crop.jpg

Photo AI Cropped

Photo AI Crop.jpg

DxO Prime Cropped

Deep Prime Crop.jpg

To me (looking on my phone) it looks like DXO is best, then Photo Ai, then DeNoise. DXO looks more contrasty which you can fix in Photoshop if you use Photo Ai. Just a quick opinion using my phone like I said.

Edit: looking again I actually think DeNoise (cropped) looks worse than the original so something must be wrong, I've read it works really well.

Last edited:
Back