Desert Bighorn Sheep?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

GregT943

I'm thinking about doing a short trip to photograph desert bighorn sheep, and maybe some night sky photography. I was thinking about doing it sometime in the spring, maybe April. I was just wondering if anybody more familiar with that species knows how they look around that time of year? Are they all tattered and ratty looking due to shedding their winter coat or a are they still photogenic, or do they not blowout their winter coats like the rocky mountain variety does? My planned destination will be Valley of Fire State Park and the Desert national wildlife refuge. I would love to see them in Death Valley but they seem very hard to find there. Any info or suggestions on desert bighorn and when and where to see them is helpful. I'm looking a get a shot of a big ram in a nice desert setting. Hiking and climbing is no issue. I have lots of experience hiking in the desert, and long hikes with lots of elevation are fine.

I could be wrong (please chime in if you know), but I don't think desert subspecies grows and sheds a winter coat per se. I can tell you how to get guaranteed shots with no hiking at all. They come down from the surrounding rocks to graze daily on the lawn at Hemenway Park in Boulder City. Not a great shot with swingsets in the background, but at sunset they go back up on the rocks and you can get good shots then.

Back