Desolation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Back in February of 2006, a couple of months after getting my first DSLR, the Nikon D70S, I saw this scene from the road during my travels for work. I stopped the car, got out and shot the scene, severely underexposing the image in the process. Didn't know back in those days that one was supposed to increase exposure for snowy scenes. Fortunately all was not lost and I managed to salvage the image. I like to think the farm owner was somewhere warm in sunny Florida for the winter. :)

DSC_0794.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Later that year I was back there in summer and the scene looked a lot more friendly.

DSC_0277.jpg

Hi Koos ,
Not sure how you have adjusted to this winter climate having originally come from Southern Africa,
I am with Callie ,I particularly like the winter scene,
Regards,
Gavin

Very nice... definitely prefer the summer image... :)
Interesting you say that. My late father painted the winter scene, and that painting is now hanging on a wall in my sister's house. :)
I like summer here in North America, but for me the winter image speaks to me much more than the summer one.

Hi Koos ,
Not sure how you have adjusted to this winter climate having originally come from Southern Africa,
I am with Callie ,I particularly like the winter scene,
Regards,
Gavin
Thanks, Gavin.
Yeah, it can be brutal outside here in winter, but we're geared for the cold. Our homes in winter are more evenly and comfortably heated than in the old country, and so are all public buildings, malls, etc. We also have the clothes that although bulky, can keep us snug while outside. And if you're an active person, what's not to like about skiing, ice skating and snowmobiling?

To be honest, I prefer summer to winter here, but one adapts.

This image was made when it was somewhat snowy outside at -9C. That's probably colder than your freezer at home. I spent most of the day outside chasing this snowy owl and got some amazing pictures. I didn't feel the cold at the time, but my gear did. The Sigma 150-500mm lens became so stiff that I had a hard time turning the zoom ring. The D7000 just soldiered on with no effects from the cold.

_DSC4745Final.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Gavin.
Yeah, it can be brutal outside here in winter, but we're geared for the cold. Our homes in winter are more evenly and comfortably heated than in the old country, and so are all public buildings, malls, etc. We also have the clothes that although bulky, can keep us snug while outside. And if you're an active person, what's not to like about skiing, ice skating and snowmobiling?

To be honest, I prefer summer to winter here, but one adapts.

This image was made when it was somewhat snowy outside at -9C. That's probably colder than your freezer at home. I spent most of the day outside chasing this snowy owl and got some amazing pictures. I didn't feel the cold at the time, but my gear did. The Sigma 150-500mm lens became so stiff that I had a hard time turning the zoom ring. The D7000 just soldiered on with no effects from the cold.

View attachment 8760
That is a great shot!

Back in February of 2006, a couple of months after getting my first DSLR, the Nikon D70S, I saw this scene from the road during my travels for work. I stopped the car, got out and shot the scene, severely underexposing the image in the process. Didn't know back in those days that one was supposed to increase exposure for snowy scenes. Fortunately all was not lost and I managed to salvage the image. I like to think the farm owner was somewhere warm in sunny Florida for the winter. :)

View attachment 8733

Later that year I was back there in summer and the scene looked a lot more friendly.

View attachment 8735
Very nice!

Great seasonal comparison shots on the farm house, Koos! As far a living, I prefer the summer but in the photo I prefer the winter scene. Excellent work on the owl!

View attachment 8733

View attachment 8735
The winter scene is reminiscent of an Andrew Wyeth painting! Well done!:)

Back