Dilemma, Buy the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm or Stay With a 30+ Year Old Manual Micro-Nikkor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

pnbarne

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have been looking at photo stacked micro images photographed with the AF-S VR 105mm micro-Nikkor. They add a dimension that I can’t reproduce with my 30+ year old 105mm micro-Nikkor. This lens is tack sharp but it does not work with the newest technologies. The D850 is really makes photo stacking really straight forward and I really like the affect.

So, is it worth dumping an old friend in favor of the latest and greatest?

I have the 105 VR macro as well as the 200mm f/4 Nikon macro lens. Honestly I use the manual focus 200mm much more than the 105mm. I have a z7 and z6ii and the in body stacking with the 105vr is great. I find anything larger than an insect I get better results by varying focus with the 200mm lens. I also at times use the focus rail. They all are similar in the end result. With your d850 you can use any lens for focus stacking to give it a try I suppose. Honestly if you can get the newer 105 and keep the one you have would be the best for different circumstances. Hope that helps.

They add a dimension that I can’t reproduce with my 30+ year old 105mm micro-Nikkor.
The 105mm AF-S Micro lens is a fantastic lens and if you get one I suspect you'll be very happy with it. That said, for many stationary macro subjects you can focus stack manually which we did for years before the automated focus stacking options were introduced. Similarly you could get something like a Helicon focusing ring to allow automated focus stacks with your existing lens if you don't want to bite the bullet and buy the newer AF-S lens.

I owned the 105 f2.8 VR Micro quite some time ago when focus shift shooting wasn't that much in focus. Because my primary interest were objects being able to decide to go before they get photographed ;) I sold it and got the AF 200 f4 Micro and this was a complety new world. The Af of this lens is slow and it makes a bit of noise, but it works on the D850, which I got just acouple of days ago to replace my D750 and D7200 ... and one of the arguments was that chance to play with focus shift shooting :). I didn't have a chance to try yet, also because I haven't got the right software working yet, but if I get to that point I will let you know. Because the first things you'd do with "normal" macroing is to go to MF and switch off VR, so for me there was no point keeping the AF-S 105 f2.8 VR. With getting into focus shift shooting that is certainly a different story. However, what I can say is that my D850 is at least able to control the AF of the 200f4 Micro, but I have to give a go with a test ... that I am happy to share.

This image was taken today (March 6, 2021) with a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 manual focus lens from back in my film days and a Nikon D850; only thing done to this image was cropping; shot was hand held.
F85_1459.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back