Display Calibration

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello
I use 2021 Macbook pro 16 in M1 for image processing in lightroom classic. I have my display set to the default Apple XDR DIsplay (P3-1600 nits).
Any suggestion about using a different display preset, including "Photography (P3-D65)?
Any need to calibrate the Macbook display, if possible, for photo processing?
I appreciate your feedback on the matter

The conventional wisdom is that even a well calibrated monitor will wander out a little over time and should be calibrated with calibration hardware up to once a month or two. Assuming they are compatible these devices are less than $200.

My opinion about uncalibrated laptops are they are too bright and too cool/blue especially for printing where the prints come out too dark and too warm because we compensate when editing. You could look at your photos on other devices, or post here and ask if they look too dark or cool on folks calibrated screens. If not then maybe no need unless you are printing. Usually when you send out to print they automatically correct your image for you unless you say no.

Reactions: seh
The conventional wisdom is that even a well calibrated monitor will wander out a little over time and should be calibrated with calibration hardware up to once a month or two. Assuming they are compatible these devices are less than $200.

My opinion about uncalibrated laptops are they are too bright and too cool/blue especially for printing where the prints come out too dark and too warm because we compensate when editing. You could look at your photos on other devices, or post here and ask if they look too dark or cool on folks calibrated screens. If not then maybe no need unless you are printing. Usually when you send out to print they automatically correct your image for you unless you say no.
Thanks Bill for your advice; posting pictures here for comments is a good idea; I will look into calibrating hardware as well

Back