Distance reading from EXIF with Z lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Lance B

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In EXIF I get subject distance with F mount lenses on DSLRs and Z cameras but it seems not with Z mount lenses. I know there has been discussions about subject distance readings with Z lenses and I can't remember the outcome as to why there isn't any info in EXIF. Does anyone know whether there is any readings from Z mount lenses and if not why we don't have them? A recent question about distance was asked on some of my images, and as it was an F mnount lens I could provide the info, but this is not available with my Z lenses.

I don’t know the answer to your question but I thought subject distances in DSLR EXIF data were extremely unreliable. Are they thought to be more accurate with mirrorless?
I don't know if it is possibly more reliable or not with ML. The F mount lens subject focus distance was reasonably accurate close in but less so at distance, but at least it gave a guide.

There have been a couple of similar queries in dpr about this. I failed to get the exif package to work

There have been a couple of similar queries in dpr about this. I failed to get the exif package to work

That's probably where I did see some discussions and saw that you and other's didn't get to the bottom of it. A pity as I would have thought ML would have brought a clean slate to the designer engineers to come up with a distance measurement.

ExifTool reports this information. The tag you are interested in is ‘FocusDistance’. As with the F-mount lenses, the reporting is more accurate at closer distances. Unlike F-lenses, ‘Infinity’ is a value that can be reported. Still, the values much past CFD should be taken as broad approximations. You will need a version of ExifTool that is reasonably current (within the past 9 months or so).

ExifTool reports this information. The tag you are interested in is ‘FocusDistance’. As with the F-mount lenses, the reporting is more accurate at closer distances. Unlike F-lenses, ‘Infinity’ is a value that can be reported. Still, the values much past CFD should be taken as broad approximations. You will need a version of ExifTool that is reasonably current (within the past 9 months or so).
I have used ExifTool with my Sony gear. You might want to test it in your home - set your camera and lens on a tripod a known distance from your target. If you are in apsc mode you have to multiply by crop factor. Test it with a teleconverter as well.

Apparently, the subject distance information is available from 'Properties' menu of a converted jpeg file (see the discussion link below). The photos in this discussion were taken using Z9 and 600mm TC. When I tried the trick on photos taken using a Z9 and 400mm TC, it didn't work for me. I use NX Studio to convert nef files to jpeg and it might be stripping that info off.

Back