Do these work? (Eagle content)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was watching this juvi bald eagle out on the mud flats, today, and out of nowhere he was buzzed by a passing Osprey; not aggressively, more like "hey, buddy: remember me? Yeah, you do". Anyhoo, I didn't really manage to capture the Osprey in the shots so now I'm wondering if the shots work at all. If I remove what little of the Osprey can be seen, the reaction of the eagle doesn't really make any sense. What do you kind folk think?

eagle_attack-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

eagle_attack-2.jpg

eagle_attack-3.jpg

I haven't PP'd these much.

The assailant was later seen giving a friend a ride:

eagle_attack-4.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "do they work?". For someone with plenty of eagles in the files they go to the bin. The third one is OK for a comical/documentary shot. So for "serious" wildlife photography IMO, no, they don't work. Question is do they work for you. I keep a lot of shots that are "eyes only" for the memories.

I would keep them myself…and keep the bits of the osprey in the frame because it makes a nice environmental shot. Not as nice as if both birds were fully in frame of course…but this is one of those interactions that sorta tells a bit of a story so I would keep 'em.

For me, these types of images offer a great (albeit painful) learning opportunity. The photo op was there......but I didn't get the shots I wanted. What should I have done differently? I study the images. Why didn't I see the osprey approaching? Was the composition on the eagle too tight to allow for the possibility of interaction with other birds? etc. Then I either make a mental note - or actually write down - thoughts for future photo outings. I then delete the photos.

Thanks all. You've confirmed my suspicions.

@Butlerkid Im not sure why I would "delete them": if nothing else they're a record of the experience for me, even though I have better shots from the day.
I simply stated what I would do. I saw the event and have the memories of that. The images for me would not reflect those memories. Periodically I review my images taken over 30 years. Thankfully, I have improved over those years. Images that I kept 15 years ago have been replaced by much better images. For me it is a constant learning process with the goal of creating the best images I can.

... Periodically I review my images taken over 30 years. Thankfully, I have improved over those years. Images that I kept 15 years ago have been replaced by much better images. For me it is a constant learning process with the goal of creating the best images I can.
Ditto for me. Over time I'm continuously culling my files and also getting more selective with the shutter button in the field. For species that I have a lot of images for and ongoing opportunities to shoot I have very few older files. As skills/equipment have improved over time so has the quality of images. So unless they are unique or carry some sentimental value older files end up in the bin over time. It is interesting to look back at shots that I was thrilled to capture 10-15 years ago and compare them to what I get excited about now.

Back