Do you like busy backgrounds?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

FB101

A couple hours in the prairie and I couldn't get an adult goldfinch to land near me - but this little one obliged. I had all the OOF yellow flowers needed for the perfect shot but it didn't happen šŸ˜ž

Busy_Background_1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Busy_Background_2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

With wildlife we sometimes have to take what we get. Iā€™ve never had a lot of luck asking a deer or a bird to move just a little to the left or right for the perfect shot.

I like these photos. With the goldenrod and the asters it really gives a sense of time and place

What I like about the 100-400mm, 500mm PF, and even the 800mm PF is that not needing a tripod I can move around and be more selective with the background for an picture of the subjects I am shooting.

Look at a bear jam in Yellowstone or similar situation and 99% of the photographers set their tripod down and mount their big lens and stay in one place and shooting at one height the entire time.

I agree with Jeff, sometimes you just can't control where your subject is in comparrison to the background.
Other times the background adds to the photograph or the story. It's great to have separation, but not to the point of being sterile, unless your using the photo for ID purposes and then clean is better. That said, I do like your second shot, seeing the flowers at different depths of field adds to the shot and I like the composition more then the first one.

Last edited:
Generally i prefer to shoot without a busy bg, but as has been said already, nature isnt there for our convenience. Sometimes you have to accept what's there.
If it's a bird or animal that is special, eg, one i have never got a shot of before, i accept what's in the viewfinder for fear of losing the shot.

If it's a creature i have in my photo list already, i can be more discerning and perhaps wait for a better bg

Back