Do you use vignettes in wildlife photography? šŸ¤”šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Larry S.

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Occasionally I look at an image and nothing seems to work through formatting, editing or filteringā€¦.or all of them. I shot this Carolina Wren recently that was blown out in the background and was ready to hit the ā€œdeleteā€ key. I re-framed it square and converted the image to B&W. Very marginal improvement (Yup, lot of grain/noise). I recalled that many portrait photographers vignette their clients to focus attention and add drama. I gave it a try. Iā€™m still ā€œunderwhelmedā€ but think this technique may be useful going forward. I suspect others use vignettes in wildlife photography but donā€™t recall seeing one in these forumsā€¦šŸ§
Z9R_3730.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nope. I don't use them in anything. I feel like it usually takes away from the image. If I can do it naturally (eg frame the subject with dark branches or leaves) I'll do it, but not in post. I don't enjoy them

Nope. I don't use them in anything. I feel like it usually takes away from the image. If I can do it naturally (eg frame the subject with dark branches or leaves) I'll do it, but not in post. I don't enjoy them
I agreeā€¦..just looks too weird, like Iā€™m looking through a spotting scopeā€¦

I am sometimes tempted to do it, but I can never decide whether it helps direct attention or is a gimmicky distraction. It may be that I just overdo it when I try. Here's one I seriously considered:
DuckTalkS.jpg

Original

DuckTalkSV.jpg

Vignette

Any thoughts?

My favorite tool for doing this is one in NikColorEfex4 called darken/lighten center. It is more subtle (and to my eye more pleasing) than the regular vignette tool which Nik also has (and obviously can be done in Lightroom or Photoshop). It darkens the outside AND lightens the center simultaneously. Of course the degree of both can be adjusted to suit your preference, as well as the size of the vignette circle. The way I use it, no one would know it had been done seeing the final photo, but if you compare the version without and the one with you can see the one with the tool has more pop. This is for color. For my black and white work I tend to vignette more heavily.

If there is an obvious vignette, it's a failure. When judging or selecting for exhibit, a heavy vignette is a complete failure and the image is rejected or receives a low score. I do use a good bit of editing on many backgrounds for wildlife and portraits, and usually use some type of vignette on landscapes, but you need to look very closely to see what I have done. If I simply darken the corners and edges, I use a very light touch. More likely, I'll adjust clarity, contrast, highlights, and saturation to direct the eye toward the subject and parts of the subject that are appropriate.

Think about lens corrections. Many lenses have vignetting of 1.5 stops or less in the corners, and that's as much as I would need or want - maybe less.

I also don't have any compulsion to apply the same vignette to all corners of an image. I may apply it only to the bottom corners and the bottom of the frame - and not apply it to the sky or upper half of an image.

My favorite tool for doing this is one in NikColorEfex4 called darken/lighten center. It is more subtle (and to my eye more pleasing) than the regular vignette tool which Nik also has (and obviously can be done in Lightroom or Photoshop). It darkens the outside AND lightens the center simultaneously. Of course the degree of both can be adjusted to suit your preference, as well as the size of the vignette circle. The way I use it, no one would know it had been done seeing the final photo, but if you compare the version without and the one with you can see the one with the tool has more pop. This is for color. For my black and white work I tend to vignette more heavily.
And you can place the center of the vignette anywhere you want...........

Back