If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

aolander

The white-tailed deer are putting on their dark winter coats.

deer-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That's a lovely shot. I really enjoy images showing interaction. I've always found it puzzling that they wear the long guard hair in summer and shed it for winter. Somewhat counter intuitive. The coat is certainly thicker in winter but seems like the longer top layer would be beneficial.

Thank you, Dan. The reddish summer coat is actually quite a bit thinner than the winter coat which has guard hairs plus an undercoat of hollow hairs which insulates them well.

Thank you, Dan. The reddish summer coat is actually quite a bit thinner than the winter coat which has guard hairs plus an undercoat of hollow hairs which insulates them well.
I'm intimately familiar with them. Where I grew up deer season started late August/first of September and ran through EOY with no season bag limit. But only one per day was allowed. In my wayward youth I did my best to help limit the population and skinned dozens of them in both states of dress.

I'm intimately familiar with them. Where I grew up deer season started late August/first of September and ran through EOY with no season bag limit. But only one per day was allowed. In my wayward youth I did my best to help limit the population and skinned dozens of them in both states of dress.
Wow, that's a long season! Only 2-3 weeks here early in November. You ARE intimately familiar with them then. :)