Does the Nikon Z8 work with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary (with FTZ)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recently bought the Z8+ftz to pair with my f-mount sigma, and it is not focusing. Could this be because my sigma recently falling on the ground? It still works completely from 200-600mm but doesn't focus from 150-200 with my Nikon D3500.
I called Nikon and contacted B&H and they both said that they couldn't guarantee a Z8 working with a non-niko lens, even though there are lots of examples of them working online. So now I'm confused - should I send it in to be repaired or not?

Here are some examples of this exact combo working:

About 6 months ago, I went to a camera rep event at my local photo store. I specifically went to talk to the tamron rep and get the firmware updated on my 150-600mm g2 tamron lens so that it will work with a z8 once I switch to mirrorless. He said it will work fine on a z8 with the FTZ. (I already had the most recent firmware).
That's tamron, but I'm pretty sure sigma would be the same.
Nikon knows that most of its customers can't upgrade expensive cameras and teles at the same time. They would limit the customer base.
If your lens is older and you send it for repair, I expect they'd update the firmware. If your FM is older, my guess is it will work better with the z8 by updating.
Good luck.

Chances are the lens may need a firmware update for the Z8 as well as a repair. Sigma does the firmware for free if you get the lens to them. At the same time they can check it and confirm the fall didn't break something, or repair it if something is broken. I would call them first and discuss the issue with them. I'm fortunate that Sigma's Canadian offices are near enough that I can drive over there. They have updated a few of my Sigma lenses in the past.

Chances are the lens may need a firmware update for the Z8 as well as a repair. Sigma does the firmware for free if you get the lens to them. At the same time they can check it and confirm the fall didn't break something, or repair it if something is broken. I would call them first and discuss the issue with them. I'm fortunate that Sigma's Canadian offices are near enough that I can drive over there. They have updated a few of my Sigma lenses in the past.
I have already updated the Z8 and the sigma is also updated. I will call Sigma tomorrow and talk to them, then probably ship it in to be repaired. Thank you 🙏

I recently bought the Z8+ftz to pair with my f-mount sigma, and it is not focusing. Could this be because my sigma recently falling on the ground? It still works completely from 200-600mm but doesn't focus from 150-200 with my Nikon D3500.
I called Nikon and contacted B&H and they both said that they couldn't guarantee a Z8 working with a non-niko lens, even though there are lots of examples of them working online. So now I'm confused - should I send it in to be repaired or not?

Does your Z8 focus with other lenses?

When I bought my first Z camera, Z6 actually, my sigma 70-200 2.8 would work only partially. The cause was that my lens was a bit holder than the Z6. Hooking it up through FTZ would not allow for good focus, while exposure was sometimes off. Further investigation with Nikon and my dependable representative where I bought the lens led me to Sigma's service, who confirmed there is some kind of firmware in the lens and it could only be updated at their repair facility to respond to the Z series protocol by sending it in. Don't know whether you 150-600 is an older one, but you might want to check with Sigma with reference to the serial number. My lense cam back fully functional, plus a clean-up and adjustment. It was well worth the money spent. That solution could also reveal hidden issue from the drop you mention. My lens works perfectly with FTZ hooked up to my Z8.

When I bought my first Z camera, Z6 actually, my sigma 70-200 2.8 would work only partially. The cause was that my lens was a bit holder than the Z6. Hooking it up through FTZ would not allow for good focus, while exposure was sometimes off. Further investigation with Nikon and my dependable representative where I bought the lens led me to Sigma's service, who confirmed there is some kind of firmware in the lens and it could only be updated at their repair facility to respond to the Z series protocol by sending it in. Don't know whether you 150-600 is an older one, but you might want to check with Sigma with reference to the serial number. My lense cam back fully functional, plus a clean-up and adjustment. It was well worth the money spent. That solution could also reveal hidden issue from the drop you mention. My lens works perfectly with FTZ hooked up to my Z8.
Thank you for this! I'll go to a local camera shop to test out my Z8 with another Sigma, and continue from there.

Back