Don't QD so fast; Safety Tether

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hooligans Imagery

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
As a follow on to the various QD threads we have seen, I wanted to get some specific input on safety tethers.
In the image below you see a Z6iii and three different tethers.

Where do you think is best to attach it?
1. Camera Lug
2. Camera base plate or L bracket - risk here is if plate comes off, no secondary point. If a lens foot, they can be split.
3. Lens foot if there is one -

What are you using for your safety tether? (my thoughts on each one provided

1. PD Key Tether - most functional for me- plastic doesn't scratch camera; easy on and off with PD anchors on lug; stretches; is it strong enough?
2. Black Rapid - too short - metal could scratch camera while in bag.
3. Cotton Carrier - too long? Metal ring not as easy to attach, could be swapped, and might scratch camera when in a bag.
4. Something else?

On the PD tether, I have emailed both PD and ProMediaGear as they sell a product that includes the tether to be used as a safety strap to see if they will tell me a load rating. I did lift my Z9 and 600PF with this and got the impression it would hold it. Seems plenty for the Z6iii and 24-120.

I suspect others have other options to see

Safety Tether - 1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

TBH, I don’t bother with a safety tether when using my 24-120 lens. With my Z9/Z8/Z6II cameras it’s well balanced.

With longer lenses (70-200 and longer) on a monopod or tripod, I use an old neck strap through a lug attached to the camera.

I have heard that occasionally a QD clip will fail. Not sure if these are off brands or major brands. I tend to test them often and replace them after extended usage or any sign of wear

Back