If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Haven't been pointing my camera at wildlife much lately. This juvenile Double-crested Cormorant dropped in real close the other day so I took the hint and grabbed his photo :)

These birds are a comeback success story in Toronto. First breeding pair to return was spotted in 1990 and 20 years later there were 30,000 on Toronto's Leslie St. Spit. A disease dropped the numbers dramatically a few years ago, but not dangerously so. Their success has this year prompted calls to control their numbers as they've started to sh*t on boats and sidewalks on nearby Toronto Island; anti-cormorant language is suggesting they're an invasive species (because their nesting habits eventually kill tress) rather than a species beautifully climbing back from near extinction.

Double Crested Cormorant_.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Haven't been pointing my camera at wildlife much lately. This juvenile Double-crested Cormorant dropped in real close the other day so I took the hint and grabbed his photo :)

These birds are a comeback success story in Toronto. First breeding pair to return was spotted in 1990 and 20 years later there were 30,000 on Toronto's Leslie St. Spit. A disease dropped the numbers dramatically a few years ago, but not dangerously so. Their success has this year prompted calls to control their numbers as they've started to sh*t on boats and sidewalks on nearby Toronto Island; anti-cormorant language is suggesting they're an invasive species (because their nesting habits eventually kill tress) rather than a species beautifully climbing back from near extinction.

View attachment 73882
Interesting story Steven. They’re not my favorite bird either. During trout season in NJ where most of the lakes are stocked, while fishing I‘ve watched these guys dive and come up repeatedly with the trout I’m attempting to catch. They’re a real problem in this regard and wipe out the stocked fish in a couple of days. 😬

Yep same issue when I lived in Long Island, they used to set off fireworks to chase them away because they were destroying the trees around a beautiful duck pond. Of course when the fireworks stopped they flew back! 🤣

Nice job on this!

Interesting story Steven. They’re not my favorite bird either. During trout season in NJ where most of the lakes are stocked, while fishing I‘ve watched these guys dive and come up repeatedly with the trout I’m attempting to catch. They’re a real problem in this regard and wipe out the stocked fish in a couple of days. 😬
Their mistake is in competing with humans for the fish :)

Yep same issue when I lived in Long Island, they used to set off fireworks to chase them away because they were destroying the trees around a beautiful duck pond. Of course when the fireworks stopped they flew back! 🤣

Nice job on this!
Thanks. Reminds me of the anti-bird cannons used in the orchards and vegetable fields a couple hours from Toronto -- efficacy is highly questioned, other than how annoying they are to humans who live or recreate near them LOL