If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hey all!

Was just going through some photos I shot last year..sorta using the process as a diary of what subjects to start expecting, to be in and around our area, in the up and coming weeks and months. I thought this type of photo was unique to any of the other types of shots I've taken thus far in my young photography journey. It all started one day when I was out for a lengthy bicycle ride on our city pathways. I stopped for a break near a pond to have a quick bite and a drink. There happened to be Red-winged Blackbirds around so I had my camera ready if one were to perch somewhere close by. While enjoying my break from the ride, and waiting on R-W Blackbirds, I noticed a few dragonflies in fairly close proximity at the edge of the pond. So I thought I'd try and take a picture of one while it was in flight. I tried for about 10 minutes or so before giving up. They are small and fast, but do pause and hover every so often, so I thought it might be possible to get a clean shot. The trouble was that they paused just so briefly that by the time you got the camera there, and in focus, they were gone. Anyways, I thought I'd have to give that another try sometime and continued on with my day. A few days later I went out riding again with the plan to stop and try the 'dragonfly in flight' thing again as part of my outdoor experience that day. Again, I failed to get a nice (in focus) shot that I was happy with. The third time I went out and tried it I decided to change things up a bit, and switched over to manual focus. That was a bit of a learning curve for me as I've never done manual focus before. Plus, I found it quite challenging to hold the heavy rig steady for an extended period of time, comfortably, all while using the focus ring. Anyway, after about an hour or so I figured it out and started getting some nice shots I was happy with. Of coarse there's lots of room for improvement here, but not a bad start. So it was a good lesson for me..like they say..If at first you don't succeed..try, try again. Having a lot of fun with all these different types of learning experiences. Just thought I'd share that little one..hope I didn't boar ya lol.

I like dragonflies, their color, and that they eat annoying smaller things that fly. I later found out that dragonflies are Red-winged Blackbird food. Maybe a cool project for a future shot eh?? Red-winged Blackbird snagging a dragonfly mid air. Yeah that'd be cool. We'll see... lol

Dragonfly In Flight (Close Up)
Nikon D750, Nikkor 200-500mm, handheld, manual focus, slight crop to 5611 x 3156 (16 x 9)
1/3200 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 1800, 500mm
RSA_9082.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Rich

Great catch of a beauty. When I was in grad school my roommate could catch them by hand as they flew past -- quick reflexes. You did very well catching it on camera.
Thanks very much Woody! Yeah that is quick for sure to be able to do that!

Very nice capture Rich, it can be a real nightmare trying to get a keeper! 😅

It looks as if that is a Aeshna sp but not sure on your side of the pond.
Thanks Jan! I am not up to speed on varying species of dragonflies. We get mostly that blue color here, but also I've seen yellow, green, brown, and red ones too. I found it quite fun trying something different and new. Hoping to try out Macro sometime soon, but need a lens first.

Beautiful colors! Nice shot.
Thanks Dave! Had to desaturate the background some, but not too much. Not something I do very often.

Well done! Dragonflies are one of my obsessions and getting them in flight is a real challenge, it's like Birds in Flight on steroids!
Thank-you Andrew! Yeah this was a bit different than anything else I've ever attempted to photograph for sure. It was fun!