Dual base ISO

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Should you only use a cameras base ISO when shooting log or also when using no profile? I’ve noticed a good bit of noise on the Sony A6700 when using the camera standard profile and low ISO values. I’m wondering if I should be using 640 and 2500 like log?

Always shoot native, but native changes depending on the picture profile. Phillip Bloom covered it for the A7Siii back when it came out (youtube or his website) and shows that SLog is 640/12,800 but Cine 2 is 50/1000 and HLG is 100/2000. I assume yours behaves similarly. I have not seen a place that documents it for each camera, but easy enough to test, just shoot standard profile with increasing ISO in increments of 100 and watch the shadows on your editor.

Always shoot native, but native changes depending on the picture profile. Phillip Bloom covered it for the A7Siii back when it came out (youtube or his website) and shows that SLog is 640/12,800 but Cine 2 is 50/1000 and HLG is 100/2000. I assume yours behaves similarly. I have not seen a place that documents it for each camera, but easy enough to test, just shoot standard profile with increasing ISO in increments of 100 and watch the shadows on your editor.
Yeah I’ve not been able to locate that info for the A1, A7RV or A6700. I know the values for log on all three but not sure when not using a profile. I’ll most likely have to just test it like you say

Yeah I’ve not been able to locate that info for the A1, A7RV or A6700. I know the values for log on all three but not sure when not using a profile. I’ll most likely have to just test it like you say
Try Bloom's settings, see if they correlate. Different sensors, but same color science and maybe they keep it the same. It's not a foundemental aspect of the sensor, Sony "tunes" it to balance readout speed and noise.

Back