DxO Denoising. Comparison Pure Raw vs PL8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm comparing test versions of PL8 w Pure Raw and I found that the denoising w DEEP PRIME XD2 give different results. What am I doing wrong?
Picture above PL8 below Pure RAW
Nikon D500 ISO16000 f 7.1 1/2000s 300mm

1729699587279.png

What are we looking at? Is it a screenshot from photolab? If so is it a screenshot of the loupe window? I know the regular window doesn't show the effects of the xd2.

1729721289564.png

What are we looking at? Is it a screenshot from photolab? If so is it a screenshot of the loupe window? I know the regular window doesn't show the effects of the xd2.
The window looks like this. I expect it to be the counterpart pf PR4 and to show the effects of xd2 since you can split it for comparison purposes like the one in PR4

The xd2 only shows in the loupe window. The little button on the top with the + sign. The better comparison would be to export them both back to lightroom. Do the photolab with noise and lens corrections only so it will be apples to apples. The output should be identical since it is the supposedly the same software engine for both.

Last edited:
The split view only applies the high quality level of noise reduction, but it does show the other things like exposure, curves, etc. One thing you can do with the loupe similar to split view is to set the view of both to 100% then move the loupe but don't release the mouse. Gives a before and after view. But photolab never gives a full size look showing xd2 noise reduction with all the other edits. I usually send it on to photoshop to get a good look, in case I want to jump back to photolab for an adjustment if something doesn't look right.

I think there may also be more adjustments in how the denoising and optics modules are applied in PhotoLab Elite 8 versus how they are applied in PureRaw 4. That was at least true between the prior versions, PhotoLab Elite 7 and PureRaw 3.

I don't have pureraw, but for Photolab 8, if you send it back to lightroom and choose denoise and optical corrections only then you get a linear dng with only these corrections, no matter what else was done in photolab.
  • Chromatic Aberration
  • Distortion
  • Denoising
  • Lens Softness Compensation
  • Vignetting

Photolab has sliders for these things rather than just dropdown categories. If I recall Pureraw give categories to choose from. in practical use my eyes don't notice any difference between small movements of the sliders anyway, so it might not matter that much in the final result.

Everything has an auto button, or you can move the sliders. The denoise module for the XD2 has sliders for luminance as well as dead pixels which I leave on auto, and 'force details' which seems like a microadjust of some kind. The Chromatic Aberration has an intensity and size slider and a purple fringing checkbox. the Distortion slider has auto or a 0 to 100 slider. The Lens Softness Compensation is not the the same as sharpness but it has Global as well as details and bokeh sliders. There is also an unsharp mask type sharpening that I don't use. The vignetting module is auto or a 0 to 100 slider.

In addition to the denoise and optical part, Photolab is also a full editor as capable as Lightroom if you choose from the export menu to output it with all corrections rather than just denoise and optical.

be interested to hear how Pureraw compares?

Back