DxO no longer including Pureraw 4 XD2 engine with PhotoLab Elite 7!?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Noticed DxO has the following posted about Pureraw 4 XD2 prime Denoise engine and PhotoLab Elite 6 & 7:
" DxO PhotoLab 6 & 7 ELITE Edition users already have access to DeepPRIME and DeepRIME XD, so purchasing the additional software is not necessary.

However, users of DxO PhotoLab 6 & 7 should note that DeepPRIME XD2 and the new lens softness correction algorithm are currently only available in DxO PureRAW. In addition, batch processing with the option to shuffle the order of images and priority within a batch and custom naming conventions to each batch of images for faster identification later in your workflow are strong arguments for purchasing DxO PureRAW 4."

So they're expecting users who already paid a premium for PhotoLab 7 elite to purchase PureRaw 4 for the latest XD2 Denoise Engine? If I have to do so, I am dumping PhotoLab 7 elite and going to Lightroom. This is a rediculous move, considering their Elite version has always included the XD prime noise removal engine, and is the primary reason why many (myself included) went with their software. DxO is getting greedy!
Here is the link: https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/ar...-I-already-have-DxO-PhotoLab-What-is-the-diff
erence

Software dev costs money. Seems fair to me
I do not think it is fair when they sell PhotoLab Elite as their premium product, when in fact that is where Prime XD noise reduction first appeared. PhotoLab Elite is their most expensive product (perpetual license is still an option) and if you have to purchase a sperate plug-in for advanced noise removal, the cost of the two products is far too high. I'll probably move back to adobe and drop PhotoLab Elite now that we see how DxO intends to squeeze their customers on perpetual licenses.

I believe they said photolab 8 will have the newest noise reduction.
Yes but they have always included every iteration of the XD Raw Denoise engine with current versions of PhotoLab Elite. Instead , now they force the customer to upgrade. Might as well be on a subscription model, as your not saving any money with perpetual license anymore

I do not think it is fair when they sell PhotoLab Elite as their premium product, when in fact that is where Prime XD noise reduction first appeared. PhotoLab Elite is their most expensive product (perpetual license is still an option) and if you have to purchase a sperate plug-in for advanced noise removal, the cost of the two products is far too high. I'll probably move back to adobe and drop PhotoLab Elite now that we see how DxO intends to squeeze their customers on perpetual licenses.

I strongly disagree on the squeeze customers part. Photolab is a complete freestanding editor while pureraw is just nr and lens corrections. Different roles. The photolab editor in my opinion could easily replace every function of lightroom develop module. I often go from lightroom with zero edits to photolab to photoshop and back to lightroom just for the library.

I strongly disagree on the squeeze customers part. Photolab is a complete freestanding editor while pureraw is just nr and lens corrections. Different roles. The photolab editor in my opinion could easily replace every function of lightroom develop module. I often go from lightroom with zero edits to photolab to photoshop and back to lightroom just for the library.
No they do not have different roles. Pureraw is just Prime XD noise reduction plugin that was made available separately for customers that did not want to purchase the entire PhotoLab Elite suite. This has changed, where DxO is now separating the two products after existing customers have purchased the premium editor. I dont see this as fair practice to customers who paid for the Elite edition of their premium product. At some point we need to realize that many of these companies are making money hand over Fist, and are in fact becoming greedy. Sorry I don't agree

No they do not have different roles. Pureraw is just Prime XD noise reduction plugin that was made available separately for customers that did not want to purchase the entire PhotoLab Elite suite. This has changed, where DxO is now separating the two products after existing customers have purchased the premium editor. I dont see this as fair practice to customers who paid for the Elite edition of their premium product. At some point we need to realize that many of these companies are making money hand over Fist, and are in fact becoming greedy. Sorry I don't agree
If you want the new DeepPrime XD2 functionality, you'll have to pay for it, either by purchasing Pureraw or waiting for PL8's release in a month or so. If you already have PL7 elite, you will get a loyalty discount, and if you are patient, you can get a further discount by waiting for Black Friday pricing. In the past, the loyalty discount has applied to owners of either of the 2 prior versions of the software. This seems fair to me.
cheers,
Alex

Those that rely upon lightroom for editing just want the ability to relatively quickly do advanced noise reduction and lens correction with pure raw and get back to their usual lightroom edits. Pureraw is offered as a lower cost way to do that. The more expensive photolab is a stand alone full featured editor. You don't need lightroom, but it is compatible
with lightroom. I look forward to photolab offering the new NR, but it works fine without it.

After years of use, I have stopped using DxO for NR. Why? The recent improved NR from Adobe available in LR and Photoshop is often all I need except for the most excessively high ISOs. Then I use Topaz NR and masking.

I don't see any problem with DXO's reply in the linked post. I think it is an honest answer. PL7 has been out for almost a year. The next v8 with XD2 should be out this fall with (hopefully) the usual black Friday discounts. In the past PR always followed PL with improvements. Looks like they are switching that order. It may be that PR is a significantly better seller. It may be time to switch to PureRaw instead of upgrading PL. Something to consider.

It will be interesting to see just how much difference this newer noise reduction method makes. Maybe things have changed, but the acutal improvements have not been as obvious with upgrades since the first big jump. I've not seen XD2 in action.

BTW. Make sure you do not upgrade to the current latest version of anything from DXO when a newer version is expected soon. DXO will NOT give you any kind of grace period if they release a newer version right after the version you bought!

I don't see any problem with DXO's reply in the linked post. I think it is an honest answer. PL7 has been out for almost a year. The next v8 with XD2 should be out this fall with (hopefully) the usual black Friday discounts. In the past PR always followed PL with improvements. Looks like they are switching that order. It may be that PR is a significantly better seller. It may be time to switch to PureRaw instead of upgrading PL. Something to consider.

It will be interesting to see just how much difference this newer noise reduction method makes. Maybe things have changed, but the acutal improvements have not been as obvious with upgrades since the first big jump. I've not seen XD2 in action.

BTW. Make sure you do not upgrade to the current latest version of anything from DXO when a newer version is expected soon. DXO will NOT give you any kind of grace period if they release a newer version right after the version you bought!
Agree with your comments... And no I won't be upgrading to PL8. I'll probably just move back to Lightroom with Pureraw 4 as my Denoise plugin. I'll wait for those Black Friday deals though , as discounts are usually significant. Take care

Back