DXO PhotoLab 6 Processing Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just a few questions to help me with DXO. I like using this to denoise files with high ISO.

I'm using DXO to export into a DNG file before importing into Photoshop ACR to finish processing. The DXO export denotes "Denoise and Optical Corrections Only". I turn on the Lens Sharpening, Distortion, and Denoise modules. Am I correct assuming that these three are all of the "Optical Corrections"? Is the Lens Sharpening module intended to be initial RAW sharpening or perhaps I am best to turn that module off and do intial sharpening in ACR? I process the file in 16 bit in Photoshop. When completed I will resize for either web use (8 bit JPG) or printing before final sharpening. Thanks!

From the help files embedded in Photolab 6

Photolab export info.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

You can also export as a dng file with all corrections applied, which is what I do as I often apply more than optical and denoise corrections in PL6 before exporting to LRC.

hth,
Alex

Just a few questions to help me with DXO. I like using this to denoise files with high ISO.

I'm using DXO to export into a DNG file before importing into Photoshop ACR to finish processing. The DXO export denotes "Denoise and Optical Corrections Only". I turn on the Lens Sharpening, Distortion, and Denoise modules. Am I correct assuming that these three are all of the "Optical Corrections"? Is the Lens Sharpening module intended to be initial RAW sharpening or perhaps I am best to turn that module off and do intial sharpening in ACR? I process the file in 16 bit in Photoshop. When completed I will resize for either web use (8 bit JPG) or printing before final sharpening. Thanks!

The Optical Corrections include things like Lens Distortion, Vignetting, Chromatic Aberration, etc. These are all part of the Optics Module. They're great basic fixes to apply globally to nearly all photos, at least that I take.

In my opinion if you're going to use the Denoise function, I would also use the Lens Sharpness function. It works extremely well. Try it at the conservative default values and then make another copy with no sharpening, compare. If you wish to add extra sharpening to certain areas, you can do that in ACR.

I would follow Alex's workflow advice above.

Thanks for the replies! I have my lens and camera Optics Module installed. The Help File above notes that only noise reduction (denoising) and "lens flaw corrections" will be applied to the DNG file. I guess my question is: "What are the specific corrections that are being applied?" Sorry for being so "dense" but I'm new to this software. :ROFLMAO:

The "Customize" panel has several editing tabs that can be activated. Lets suppose that I use the 9 editing tabs listed below and turn them all on. If I export to the "DNG (Denoise and Optical Corrections Only)" then what lens flaw corrections will be performed? Perhaps the 5 corrections in BLUE that I listed below? I import the DNG into Photoshop for further editing.

Lens Distortion
Chromatic Aberation
Vignetting
Lens Sharpness
Denoising

Horizon
Volume Deformation
Moire'
Reshape
Etc...

Thanks for the replies! I have my lens and camera Optics Module installed. The Help File above notes that only noise reduction (denoising) and "lens flaw corrections" will be applied to the DNG file. I guess my question is: "What are the specific corrections that are being applied?" Sorry for being so "dense" but I'm new to this software. :ROFLMAO:

The "Customize" panel has several editing tabs that can be activated. Lets suppose that I use the 9 editing tabs listed below and turn them all on. If I export to the "DNG (Denoise and Optical Corrections Only)" then what lens flaw corrections will be performed? Perhaps the 5 corrections in BLUE that I listed below? I import the DNG into Photoshop for further editing.

Lens Distortion
Chromatic Aberation
Vignetting
Lens Sharpness
Denoising

Horizon
Volume Deformation
Moire'
Reshape
Etc...

I assume that if one chooses the "export as a dng file with demosaicing and optical corrections only applied", any corrections invoked via the Detail module in PL6 would be applied and the result transferred as a dng file into LR. Lens flaw means any imperfections in the lens that you are using that DxO has corrections for, I believe.
You could test this by carefully changing one detail in PL, noting the change in PL, then exporting it to LR as a dng with optical corrections only and compare, repeating the process to test for further, different corrections or send a query to the DxO team.
Cheers,
Alex
ps....as a side note, don't forget to turn off lens corrections in LR if you've already made them in PL.

Back