DxO PureRAW 3 changes the file name without being asked

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What do you think about this behavior of DxO PureRAW 3?

• That's crap! A no-go! DxO should give us users a choice!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • The name change is OK. But I would still like to have a choice.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • The filename change is great.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As a new user of the otherwise fantastic program DxO PureRAW 3, I came across something that is very annoying to me. The program changes the file name of the processed image without being asked!

Example: "photo.nef" becomes "photo-nef.dng" or "photo-nef.jpg".

A DxO employee wrote me "the application retains and embeds the name of the original file within the name of the converted file" and "a welcome convenience". What??? (n):unsure::rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this cannot be switched off, you are forced rename your images. I find this very frustrating. I have already asked the DxO employee to forward my change request to the development department. Now I hope that as many forum members as possible will take part in the survey. I would share the results with DxO.

I just don't understand what the developers were thinking. At the same time, they give us the option to add a prefix or suffix to the image name in the settings before the process starts. If someone (like you) would like to use the previous file format as information in the image name, you could write it there as "Customs text".

PureRAW 3 file name settings.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

What I only realize right now: you also have no influence on the previous name of the file. So you can't save your "photo.nef" as, for example, "picture.dng".

[…..]

What I only realize right now: you also have no influence on the previous name of the file. So you can't save your "photo.nef" as, for example, "picture.dng".
What you expect when you DeNoise a batch of NEF files. Let say 10 ore more…..
You would loose the overview if you name it all
picture1.dng, picture2.dng, picture3.dng, etc.
No relation at all to the original NEF file 😏.

I think that is the DXO idea behind the naming behaviour.

I don't see why it's an issue. No matter how you sort the images will be next to the raw and could be put into a stack in lightroom. It's better in lightroom in my opinion to send it to the same folder as the original, rather than a dxo subfolder.

Back