Eagle and Snowy Owl in Alaska (captive)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Visited the Alaska Raptor Center. They receive many eagles from around Alaska, Alaska Air ships them to Sitka for free (a big thanks to Alaska Air for doing this). They rehab any birds they can and when the time is right they set them free. They had five eagles in a very large indoor caged area that will be set free at some point soon. Sometimes, most often I think with wing injuries, the birds live out their life at the center. It is the only bird rehab facility in Alaska.

I got lucky today with the light and using spot metering and got black backgrounds, which I like. The eagles were in cages with no cover, wing injuries so they cannot fly and are permanent residents, and the owl was behind wire in a cage. I was on a deck above the eagles and shooting at an angle downward and shot straight-on with the owl. It was fun to be so close to the eagles...they are really BIG birds!
batch_Sitka Alaska Captive Birds-5144.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
batch_Sitka Alaska Captive Birds-5153.jpg
batch_Sitka Alaska Captive Birds-5179.jpg
batch_Sitka Alaska Captive Birds-5474.jpg

Visited the Alaska Raptor Center. They receive many eagles from around Alaska, Alaska Air ships them to Sitka for free (a big thanks to Alaska Air for doing this). They rehab any birds they can and when the time is right they set them free. They had five eagles in a very large indoor caged area that will be set free at some point soon. Sometimes, most often I think with wing injuries, the birds live out their life at the center. It is the only bird rehab facility in Alaska.

I got lucky today with the light and using spot metering and got black backgrounds, which I like. The eagles were in cages with no cover, wing injuries so they cannot fly and are permanent residents, and the owl was behind wire in a cage. I was on a deck above the eagles and shooting at an angle downward and shot straight-on with the owl. It was fun to be so close to the eagles...they are really BIG birds!View attachment 58520View attachment 58521View attachment 58522View attachment 58523
outstanding series!

Back